Make me feel better- show me your eye-sore coopsadded pics-page 5

ep.gif

Last edited:
Just posting up ours for moral support and a plug for imagination being as useful as a rip saw:

This was our daughter's playhouse years ago and was slowly weathering away so, I guess, it qualifies as a `found object' coop.
incipientcoop.jpg

A bit of sweat and Baer wood treatment later (field tested by generations of raccoons):
FtChook0508.jpg

BadFoot020408.jpg

A warm, dry climate and minimal predator load allows for construction with lighter materials. Good quality sheds can be constructed using something like the EZ framer kit. A circular saw is all that is really required and the quality is much better than pre-builts costing $200 more (our turkey shed was up in a day and ran $400). Maybe invest in some `social' engineering, i.e., enlist friends and relatives to do the actual construction.

EZ framer turkey shed:
roostingT0307.jpg

Don't worry about `cute' just focus on utility and have fun!

Thanks for all the replies everyone! None of your coops look that bad-in fact, some are pretty nice!

Once I rested and soaked my sore foot for awhile I decided it really isn't that bad. After all, the chickens don't seem to mind that it is not as aesthetically pleasing as I intended it to be. Like my husband said, chickens don't really seem like the Martha Stewart Living type.

I'll take some pictures and post them later today.

Once you get it all done, you'd be amazed at what a few coats of paint will do in "prettying" things up.

Can't wait to see the pix!

It's great to see what everyone is doing. I appreciate all your ingenuity! It makes me appreciate the coop we got on Craigslist that is very functional, albeit not perfect. I am going to work at fixing it up. Thanks for the inspiration everyone!

My coop is done from left overs...Hurricane Ike hit us hard, we picked up peoples knocked down fences...our coop door is an actual fence door with hinges, our left over dog 10x10 kennel we hadnt used in almost 2yrs....
it was hard, I have back injuries, and DH works alot...I had to take out all the old nails out of the boards, seperate them, pull out only the good wood...we still have a large pile of wood in our yard for more coops

36033_perches.jpg

didnt know a thing about chickens!!!! so our nest boxes were just shelves open two on each side to fit 2 chckens on each shelf...Well it didnt work!!! the roost was even with the shelves...
roll.png
DUMMY ME...so now, we have placed from resale shops or trashed book shelves side ways as nest and they lay in them...for the roost I hung branches over the top of the inside of the coop even with the ventilation area that runs across the front of the coop

36033_nest_box_with_roosting.jpg

36033_roost.jpg

Ever since then they only roost there and love it!!!
branches from our yard and all inside the coop its now covered in deep litter...

Last edited:
Y'all's coops are purdy compared to ours. Here's husband dragging it from its first location to its current location:

21866_101_0092.jpg

We took the metal off the door and left hardware cloth on it.

We borrowed the tractor and the coop/shed was already on the property.

What's redneck in other places is "green" in Oregon!

Back
Top Bottom