Make way for the fat birds - my brahma flock

Thanks y'all. I would have gotten pictures of the whole brahma flock, but the girls were not cooperating.

ep.gif
Those are beautiful! And HUGE!

Quote:
I've read where brahmas are supposedly big eaters, but I haven't seen it myself. I go through maybe one 50# bag of layer feed a month to feed the 13 of them, though it's true that my birds are free ranged and get alot of their nourishment that way.

that roo is stunning! so what causes the yellowish feathers- my roo has them too- we have one brahma we call chubbs- she doesn't like to get her feet wet...

that bella of yours is gorgeous! so are all darks colored that way??

Quote:
Best I can tell - the yellowing is called bronzing. They get it from being out in the sun alot. The other theory I've read of says that it's caused by feeding them corn. I don't buy that one because I only feed corn in the winter and Thor is more "bronzed" in the summer than at any other time.
This is a better pic of Thor, when he's not so yellow:

4810_emptycam_132.jpg

Yes, all the dark hens are colored that way. The darks are actually the only ones of the three common colors in the US (dark, buff, & light) where the males can be sexed from the females at a young age because they feather out completely different.
This is my Lil'Bit, recently taken by a hawk. She was very small, the runt and only ever had one tail feather, but I loved her so:

4810_butthead19_001.jpg

Back
Top Bottom