Make your own - No waste - 5 gallon (25# feed) bucket feeder for about $3

Pics
I made my feeder for my turkeys today. They took to it right away!
thumbsup.gif

Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to make a square one for my new chicks in a small temp coop that I'm setting up.

Jimmy, this ideas word with all kinds of containers, thanks for your posts I got the horizontal nipples I used one in an empty 1 gallon vegetable oil bottle for my chicks, I'm using the rest to make in a 5 gallon bucket like yours. Next time I get day old chicks ill make some like the ones you posted earlier.

Long time lurker, first time poster here. First, thanks to everyone and their willingness to share, as it's really helped me out in the background! I hadn't seen anyone do this yet, so I thought I'd share today's afternoon project with everyone. I had the same problem as some others with the major spillage so I made a box (2x2x3 feet) with 10 of the 4" pvc elbows. It was the largest box I could make with a single sheet of plywood/OSB board. I put in 200 lbs of feed and as you can see the box is still probably around half-full. I also added a feed-meter visual window just so I can know at a glance how much feed is left in the box, but I figure this should last at least a month or two for my 22 ladies. Total cost was around $70-ish (10 x PVC elbows, 1 PVC glue, 1 OSB board) Thanks for letting me share!

That is AWESOME!!! Do you have it elevated off the ground with anything? Is it indoors?
Thank you! But most of the credit deserves to go to others here. It is outdoors, but under the covered part of the run. Elevated on one side with a treated 2x4 due to a slight unevenness on the ground where I placed it. I think the nice thing, other than no waste, about a box like this is it's easily and cheaply scalable up or down for your requirements, and you aren't limited to a fixed 5 gallon bucket. Not to mention you could potentially go months before having to add more feed!

Long time lurker, first time poster here. First, thanks to everyone and their willingness to share, as it's really helped me out in the background! I hadn't seen anyone do this yet, so I thought I'd share today's afternoon project with everyone. I had the same problem as some others with the major spillage so I made a box (2x2x3 feet) with 10 of the 4" pvc elbows. It was the largest box I could make with a single sheet of plywood/OSB board. I put in 200 lbs of feed and as you can see the box is still probably around half-full. I also added a feed-meter visual window just so I can know at a glance how much feed is left in the box, but I figure this should last at least a month or two for my 22 ladies. Total cost was around $70-ish (10 x PVC elbows, 1 PVC glue, 1 OSB board) Thanks for letting me share!

Looks cool, but make sure that when it gets down near the bottom that you somehow stir it up so that the old feed is used up and doesn't get moldy in the corners.

Back
Top Bottom