Make your own - No waste - 5 gallon (25# feed) bucket feeder for about $3

Pics
feeding chickens or children tu rn em loose and watch what they eat look at the rateing on the bottom of buckets its the same on all of mine that arw white from horse supplements to paint they are made from the same type of plastic make sure they are clean and you can find food grade if you think it is better good luck don't forget they are chickens I would be more concerned about the chems in the feed and runs or pastures

I give up. One day I can post pics and the next day I can't. Thank you OP for the tutorial. Built one today.

Last edited:
I made one, but the feed doesn't trickle into the space under the elbow. So I'm having to shake the feed down to be accessible once a day. Do other peoples' that they made gravity-feed with no problem? Maybe I did something wrong? Since the 5-gallon bucket can hold so much feed, I was thinking I wouldn't have to tend to the feeder every day, but I have to take it out to shake it every day.
Maybe putting something like a funnel inside the feeder to slant it would help? I haven't read through all 24 pages of comments, so apologies if this is already covered.

you could put notches on the in side of pvc next to bottom of bucket to make the feed flow or cut of bottom of elbow but should be a one half inch off bottom of bucket for crumbles i beleive

Hi love this idea. Will it for really small bantams? I have Seramas and they are SO friggin messy but so small like 11-15 oz and I am wondering if they can reach or if they will just climb into the tube or if I can somehow modify it for small birds...?

This really was a fantastic tutorial! I got free food grade frosting and egg product buckets from a local wedding cake shop, so the buckets were free. Didn't have a hole bit, but I used the Sawzall to cut out the hole in the bucket. It's not pretty, but it works great and only cost me $3 for the elbow. Thanks for the great ideas about making this so easy and cheap!

Back
Top Bottom