Make your own - No waste - 5 gallon (25# feed) bucket feeder for about $3

Pics
Those aren't the street elbows we are talking about. You can't get a 3" street elbow. They go from 2" then jump to 4". They are in the sewer section, not in the water pipe section. I also could not find them at Home Depot. I had to get mine at Lowes. I got some like that when I first started. You can use them or exchange them, it's up to you. If you use them, DON"T cut off the cuff, the part at the top. Cut off the bottom. See the indention on the bottom part in your pic? That is where you will cut the elbow. Then just put it in like it says at the beginning for this thread. Here is a 4" sewer street elbow: See the flange at the top and the cuff at the bottom? If you had one like this, you cutt off the cuff. That part will be in the feed. The top, where the flange is, will be poking out of the bucket and you will slip the cuff over it holding it. The flange keeps the elbow from coming out and the cuff will keep it from falling inside the bucket. To find the lids, go down the paint isle. You have to find where they have all the empty buckets. They range from 1 to 5 gallons, different sizes/colors.
Well that's unfortunate because I thought they were :/ and I thought I was in the sewer part but maybe not. I'll have to go back and/or go to Lowe's. Although do they really not come in 3"? Because they did have the 4" thing but they also had a 3" section with all sorts of other things and it took me a little bit to find it but it said right on the box 3" street elbow so I don't know. Although on the pipe it said 90° elbow so maybe it's not street but it does have the not cuff end. I don't know. It did say it was a street elbow though. But maybe these are different street elbows or something and clearly they are since the ones you show look different so that's weird. :/ but anyway, I don't know if I want to go back just to get a different elbow but is the other one better? I know you said you did use these before so they do work? Is the other way better or? Just trying to decide if it's worth it to go back. It's not really far but don't know if I should. Thank you for your help though. I'll lpok for those elbows And for the lids, ahh okay, I didn't bother finding the buckets because they had them on the end of the aisles. I guess I'll have to go back anyway to get the lids so maybe I should just trade the pipes too.
You want to cut the hole so that the part of the elbow inside the bucket is 1.5 inches from the bottom of the bucket. KDOGG331, I used those elbow you have and got 3 in the bucket but I had to cut off the coupling at the big end. I put the elbow into the bucket with the cut end down. The uncut end should stick out of the bucket. The cut off coupling then gets glued onto the uncut end of the elbow on the outside of the bucket. The coupling now makes it where the elbow cannot fall into the bucket because your hole should be just big enough for the uncut end of the elbow to pass through. Not saying other types of elbows won't work, but I did use the ones you're asking about.
Well that's good to know, thank you! I'm glad they work :) so is the other kind good then because you don't have to use glue?

Can I get any 90 degree elbow
If I can't get sewer street elbows as I live in England
Cheers

Yeah I think the others work and are maybe even better, the OP uses normal ones if you look. I think normal ones just have a second cuff you have to cut off but I'm not sure. I might go back and get the right kind

Best thing to do is go back and read how @jimmywalt built his. His way works great. It's how I made my first ones.

There are different street elbows. It took me forever to find what I was looking for since I was looking for a 3" street elbow with the flange end, not smooth end.

Best thing to do is go back and read how @jimmywalt
  built his. His way works great. It's how I made my first ones. 

There are different street elbows. It took me forever to find what I was looking for since I was looking for a 3" street elbow with the flange end, not smooth end.

I'll have to go look at that! Is there a particular page it's on or not really?

And that would explain it then. I assumed they were all the same. Whoops.. I'll have to find the proper one. Will 4" even fit more than one in the bucket though?

Well that's unfortunate because I thought they were :/ and I thought I was in the sewer part but maybe not. I'll have to go back and/or go to Lowe's.

At my Lowes the DWV (sewer) fittings and sewer/drain pipe is outside in the lawn and garden area, not in the plumbing isle...

Lowes website direct links don't always work, so if it doesn't do a search on the Lowes website for Item # 24870 and see if your Lowes carries them...

http://www.lowes.com/pd_24870-676-41P0ST___?Ntt=24870&productId=3609606

The street elbow (or any other "street" fitting) has a flange end (also called a coupling end) and a straight or street end. The sewer elbow looks like it has 2 straight ends. You don't have to be a master plumber to make this work as long as you can attach it to the bucket. The street works when the coupling is cut off and reattached to the street end on the outside of the bucket but that's just one way to do it. It doesn't matter how you do it as long as it works. Most of the questions being asked are answered with pictures in earlier posts in this thread. It does appears the sweeping curve elbows work best while the elbow with an immediate 90 degree turn with no material between the two ends will let the chickens scoop food out of the opening onto the ground. I'm using the mobile app right now so I can't post a pic but there are pics of it in this thread.

Last edited:
Thank you both for all the info and sorry I didn't reply right away! Sounds like I should go back in the thread and do somw reading. I hadn't even realized people used kinds other than the 90 degree ones. Maybe there's too many options hah seems like every time I think I find something there's something better :p

Not a bad thing though and not just here, seems everything with chickens is that way, which is great for lots of options but I'm terrible with choices and worried about having the best thing haha

Back
Top Bottom