Make your own - No waste - 5 gallon (25# feed) bucket feeder for about $3

Pics
Cool idea. That will save a lot of money in the long run (versus food all over in the chicken run).

I've been using these for about 2 weeks now with my 8 week old chicks. They kinda have to stretch to get in there, but they're eating just fine. I figure they'll grow into them :)

I LOVE them. Went from about 50% of their feed on the ground (stupid chick-feeder that everyone starts out with) to close to 0% loss.

After trying out a couple of different buckets and a couple of different configurations, I've decided that the 4 gallon square buckets with 1 tube in them works best for me (they're too small for more than 1 tube).

We made this yesterday and it took the chickens about 3 seconds to figure out and they were then taking turns stuffing themselves into the ports to get their feed. And the best thing is they can't shove ANY out!
wee.gif

Has anyone used these for Serama or quail? I'm getting eggs this week (Serama) and am looking for good feeder options for them. I've finally got my quail to stop wasting food, but I need to find a solution that will hold enough food for a week. We're taking a vacation in a few months and while I have someone that can check on them daily, most of my friends are not "animal people" and get easily freaked out by harmless flapping birds.
roll.png
So if they can just check on them and collect eggs that would be best. I plan on having everyone on a water system by then, just need big enough feeders to last them.

I made one of these this past weekend and it works beautifully. I also cut off a sliver of the bell (the part you cut off to fit the elbo through the hole) and slid it back onto the elbow as a retaining collar on the inside of the bucket. I found a box of ABS 3" elbows at Lowes on clearance for $0.50 each so I picked up a couple of them. Add $2.75 for the new bucket (I can't find enough buckets to keep around) and you get a $3.25 feeder that holds half of a bag of feed and works great. The girls figured out how to eat out of it within a few hours and I find NO feed laying around the opening. (pic's to follow)

Thanks for posting this up!

I plan on making this feeder but have 1 question. How old do the chickens need to be to use this. My chicks are 6 weeks old. Are they too young?

I plan on making this feeder but have 1 question. How old do the chickens need to be to use this. My chicks are 6 weeks old. Are they too young?

Mine were about 7 weeks old or so when I introduced it. They really have to stretch to get in there, but it works since they're small enough to stuff themselves in the hole.

Back
Top Bottom