Make your own - No waste - 5 gallon (25# feed) bucket feeder for about $3

Pics
Hi,

First post here. I was wondering...for those that keep their feeders outside, do you have issues with mice? My wife is concerned that leaving openings open will attract mice and that will lead to snakes.

We don't feed in the coop area and prefer to have the food outside which is picked-up nightly. Great idea by the way.

Russell

I hang mine about 8 inches off ground haved seen a mouse jump that high yet I also use 5 gal nipple waterer also so their isno water for the rodents either iuse pvc feeder in my coop up off bedding about 6 inches haven't seen a mouse yet my coop is built on a trailer but have ramps that would give them axcess hope it helps

Hi,

First post here. I was wondering...for those that keep their feeders outside, do you have issues with mice? My wife is concerned that leaving openings open will attract mice and that will lead to snakes.

We don't feed in the coop area and prefer to have the food outside which is picked-up nightly. Great idea by the way.

Russell

I have only seen one mouse in my run before, eating the feed off the ground from my old feeder. Since there is less feed on the ground to attract rodents with this feeder, it may be less of an issue, though I can't say for sure. If it is a big problem in your area, I would suggest getting a cap (there are various sizes and materials in the plumbing section of the home improvement store) and putting that over the feeding hole at night when you lock up.

I hang mine about 8 inches off ground haved seen a mouse jump that high yet I also use 5 gal nipple waterer also so their isno water for the rodents either iuse pvc feeder in my coop up off bedding about 6 inches haven't seen a mouse yet my coop is built on a trailer but have ramps that would give them axcess hope it helps

I would strongly advise against hanging this style of feeder. Since the birds put their entire head and necks in the tubes to eat, any movement of the feeder would be pretty alarming or even dangerous for them.

Thanks for the replies. I feel like there wouldn't be an issue with the mice myself, but i'm going to err on the side of caution for now.

I'm sure I'm doing this the hard way, but I'm working on an arrangement using a screw-in plug without making it too deep for them to put their heads to get feed. I'll post pictures when I get it done.

Russell

Hi,

Russell

We set ours on rounds smaller than the circumference of the feed buckets, therefore there is no ledge for the mice to climb. Waterers are about 12-14 inches off the ground as well.

I love these designs... Still more convinced that the bucket idea would produce the least waste. Not so sure how much reduction one would get with the one with the PVC pipe and high side litter pan. I'm pretty certain my hens would find a way to kick it all out.

One question that did come to mind in looking at these designs with the PVC pipes and plastic buckets, was whether there should be any concern or not about the plastic not being food grade plastic? I guess I was wondering about outgassing byproducts from the PVC pipe getting into the hens' food; of course perhaps I'm just overthinking things.... I dunno...

I love these designs... Still more convinced that the bucket idea would produce the least waste. Not so sure how much reduction one would get with the one with the PVC pipe and high side litter pan. I'm pretty certain my hens would find a way to kick it all out.

One question that did come to mind in looking at these designs with the PVC pipes and plastic buckets, was whether there should be any concern or not about the plastic not being food grade plastic? I guess I was wondering about outgassing byproducts from the PVC pipe getting into the hens' food; of course perhaps I'm just overthinking things.... I dunno...

I made sure our buckets were food grade.

Color is a good indication white is usually food grade..no matter what is printed on them stores etc..but more than likely it is still safe.

Back
Top Bottom