Make your own - No waste - 5 gallon (25# feed) bucket feeder for about $3

Pics
i used 3 inch street elbows 1 inch from bottom no waste but put a 4 inch pvc feeder with a feed gauge so i know at a glance that they have dry food but they get ff once a day they dont eat much dry food unless i feed later in morning love ff and get great eggs

i used 3 inch street elbows 1 inch from bottom no waste but put a 4 inch pvc feeder with a feed gauge so i know at a glance that they have dry food but they get ff once a day they dont eat much dry food unless i feed later in morning love ff and get great eggs

Great butch vb, That's what I'm going to do. My chicks love their Fermented feed. I've been giving it to them 2x a day but I want to simplify a bit and have dry in their coop also. And a big waterer. This going out 3 x a day is getting old. But so am I.
tongue2.gif

i have 17 c hickens and use 2 5 gal nipple waters one in coop other in tractor tractor is 8 by 10 and has to be moved every three days coop built on trailer and can be moved with 4 wheeler but as soon as i get time will build another tractor for front of coop then i can move front tractor than coop then back tractor should take less than 10 min once a week to keep them on fresh grass during summer winter instead of grass they will get fodder made with wheat barley boss in winter when i hope to have more time for fodder ff is a lot less work than fodder and i think better for chickens

I've tried 3" sewer 90's hanging at different heights. My 10 weeks old red rangers still scatter a small amount of feed in a 24 hr period but I can live with it. My dual purpose birds of the same age(smaller) shovel out more than they consume at all different heights. I've tried long radius 2" and 3" and they waste less but it's still way too much. Any suggestions?

I've tried 3" sewer 90's hanging at different heights. My 10 weeks old red rangers still scatter a small amount of feed in a 24 hr period but I can live with it. My dual purpose birds of the same age(smaller) shovel out more than they consume at all different heights. I've tried long radius 2" and 3" and they waste less but it's still way too much. Any suggestions?

Add a small section of pipe on the outside so they have to reach further inside...

Hi, I am wondering if anyone feeding fermented feed has tried this type of feeder? can it be used for fermented feed or is it best to just use a shallow dish for fermented and offer dry as free choice in the bucket feeder?

Hi, I am wondering if anyone feeding fermented feed has tried this type of feeder? can it be used for fermented feed or is it best to just use a shallow dish for fermented and offer dry as free choice in the bucket feeder? 

I am wondering the same thing! Never thought to ask though- was just going to try it and see how it goes. Let me know if you find anything out! I won't be trying until my chicks are old enough to go outside (they haven't hatched yet lol).

lol yeah that might be a good idea :) mine are 10 weeks old now, so far I am trying a shallow dish for fermented and they make a mess with it and like to stand in it, but they do eat everything that gets on the ground, I might try to make a smaller one for fermented right now they just get it late morning and have dry crumble free of choice in the bucket and so far the bucket is working great for the dry food.

Can't praise this feeder enough.

My only question is why is anybody still using anything else?!?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom