Make your own - No waste - 5 gallon (25# feed) bucket feeder for about $3

they won't starve. sometimes I don't see my guys eating out of it, but the food level goes down and no one is starving to death. I've put out a flat bowl some days lately because I have a roo with a large comb & wattles who got a little frostbite in some -15 plus wind chill weather, and didn't want him to have to bump into the PVC. But the ducks and chickens ALL eat out of it, and have been for 3 or 4 months now. If you've shown them where the food is, they will eat from it once they're hungry enough.

Thanks for the input I appreciate it. It's been hard for me to tell the level going down since I put a full bag in there and I only have 3 girls. It's good to know they're not too dumb to starve themselves lol

90's are better. 45's allow too much feed to slip into the pipe & potentially out the feeder, in my experience. and I think I used 4 inch. the holesaw was 3 3/4, if I remember correctly...but it's been a while. and I liked the 'Street' elbow, which has a cuff on one end and the other end is slim. I sawed off the cuff and then put it on the slim end to help hold the pipe in place on the bucket. It helps keep weather out that way, too.

90's are better. 45's allow too much feed to slip into the pipe & potentially out the feeder, in my experience. and I think I used 4 inch. the holesaw was 3 3/4, if I remember correctly...but it's been a while. and I liked the 'Street' elbow, which has a cuff on one end and the other end is slim. I sawed off the cuff and then put it on the slim end to help hold the pipe in place on the bucket. It helps keep weather out that way, too.

I like the same kind of elbow; not everyone carries them, though, and it pays to look around. I try to find the lighter, cheaper kind of street elbow. Initially I used a 3 3/4" hole saw, but the hole was too big for the slim end and too small for the cuff end. so I switched to a 4" hole saw which let the cuff end make a good seal. I think hooked-on's idea for cutting off the cuff end is a good one, and if I were going to make more I would try that, with the 3 3/4" hole. My LF Roos really hate using these feeders: their combs get bloody from sticking their heads into them, and with all the frostbite they've gotten this year, I'm sure it hurts them. Am going to try some larger 4" elbows with a large tote and see If that helps. Maybe they'll lose all their points and we won't have to worry about it anymore. Good luck with your feeders; they are just the best.

Been using the bucket feeder for a few month now and it's been working great. Used two 4 in. PVC 90-Degree Hub x Hub Elbow that I brought from HomeDepot. Initially, I caulked the pipes to the bucket to create a seal, but noticed the chickens was pecking at the silicones. I decided it was safer to just remove.

Been using the bucket feeder for a few month now and it's been working great. Used two 4 in. PVC 90-Degree Hub x Hub Elbow that I brought from HomeDepot. Initially, I caulked the pipes to the bucket to create a seal, but noticed the chickens was pecking at the silicones. I decided it was safer to just remove.
Awesome Job! Do you find that the 4in PVC 90s are good? would you reccommend them? or maybe the 3in? Also, Do you think that 90's are the best choice? or would 45's work?

I decided to use 4in to give the chickens some extra head room. I have 4 chickens and find two openings were enough. With 3in, you might be able to fit 3 elbows into the bucket. The 90° elbow has been working great and help keeps the feed in when the chickens pecks. There's been no mess or waste of feed. I would definitely recommend it. Haven't tried a 45°, but it seems like the general consensus is 90° works better.

Back
Top Bottom