Make your own - No waste - 5 gallon (25# feed) bucket feeder for about $3

I used the schedule 30 PVC 90 degree 3" on my bucket above. I also used a 3" hole saw on the bucket. The hole was so tight that I had to use a file around the edges to open it just enough to force the elbow in. It fits super tight. I can't twist it or move it in any direction hardly, so I suspect my chicken's heads won't be able to budge it at all. :)

Has anyone tried using one of these with fermented feed? I almost always ferment my crumbles or pellets but I would really like to use this type of feeder but I'm worried that the fermented feed would be too thick for this to work properly.

I apologise if this had been asked before, I likedl through quite a few of the pages but didn't see anything.

No, it will not work for fermented feed. open containers work best for fermented feed. I use two of these attached to the wall of the coop, I made the key hole slots, for easy hanging and removal, some use plastic rain gutter.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...l-feeder-2x175-qt-capacity-black?cm_vc=-10005
20170712_215020.jpg

I didn't even think about the fact that this needs a lid! Those containers look great, thank you for linking to them. How do you personally use them? Do you fill them up and then just refill when empty, or do you put a days worth in each time?

I have 10 chickens and I think that 3.5 quarts between the two it would last 2-3 days if filled. Although I have not given them free access to the fermented feed before, so I'm not positive how much they would go through

I put a days worth out, spread between the 4 sections. About 1 - 1 1/2 cups per section., sometimes they eat it all, sometimes not. I just add to what they didn't eat the next day, if any is left. I have 10 chickens also, but ten more chicks in the brooder. I also provide dry in the no waste feeder, they eat both. You can always cut back on the fermented, if they never finish what you give everyday.

Back
Top Bottom