Make your own - No waste - 5 gallon (25# feed) bucket feeder for about $3

5 Gallon Feeder Bucket
If you use a double female 90 degree ell, it can be cut down the centerline into two 45 degree sleeves.
a piece of 3” PVC cut at a 45 degree angle can be glued into the female, that will create a hood to keep rain and snow out.
2 pieces of PVC can anchor the sleeve at a 15 degree downslope going into the bucket to prevent flicking of feed out of the tube.
a 1/2” front lower opening dam will also help.
I don’t know how to post a picture of a 5 gallon bucket with 4 sleeves made from two;

With
Rain hood
15 degree downslope
Entrance dam to prevent spillage

Pm me for more info.

Last edited by a moderator:
All I did was cut (3) 6" x 6" "windows" out of the side of a 5 gallon bucket. I use it in a covered run so I don't need a hood. I also cut (3) pieces of black plastic water pipe as wide as the window(6") to snap over the edge .It helps keep feed in and protects the chickens from the sharp edge.

All I did was cut (3) 6" x 6" "windows" out of the side of a 5 gallon bucket. I use it in a covered run so I don't need a hood. I also cut (3) pieces of black plastic water pipe as wide as the window(6") to snap over the edge .It helps keep feed in and protects the chickens from the sharp edge.
@ChickensComeHome2Roost got pics?

5 Gallon Feeder Bucket
If you use a double female 90 degree ell, it can be cut down the centerline into two 45 degree sleeves.
a piece of 3” PVC cut at a 45 degree angle can be glued into the female, that will create a hood to keep rain and snow out.
2 pieces of PVC can anchor the sleeve at a 15 degree downslope going into the bucket to prevent flicking of feed out of the tube.
a 1/2” front lower opening dam will also help.
I don’t know how to post a picture of a 5 gallon bucket with 4 sleeves made from two;

With
Rain hood
15 degree downslope
Entrance dam to prevent spillage

Pm me for more info.
Pictures would be most helpful!

I just made on of these last Friday before leaving for a camping trip. I'm so happy to report it works awesome! That said it's now about 6-7 bucks per PVC elbow, so 7x4+16 (harbor freight hole cutter) makes me wonder if I could have found an.equally good feeder in that $45+55 range (my time is worth something too, so maybe add a bit more on)....

The lower you make the cut out the less feed it holds.This one holds plenty enough for me as my flock is very small(6) I never have any spilled on the ground and its simple to make.
I used a circular saw to make the cut outs( 6" up from the bottom of the bucket)

Attachments

• 20220628_181258.jpg
    20220628_181258.jpg
    495.4 KB · Views: 28
The lower you make the cut out the less feed it holds.This one holds plenty enough for me as my flock is very small(6) I never have any spilled on the ground and its simple to make.
I used a circular saw to make the cut outs( 6" up from the bottom of the bucket)
That's interesting. Do you lock it up at night to keep rodents out of it?

Back
Top Bottom