Making a crop bra for a hen with pendulous crop

I have an article on crop issues, how to know them and treat them. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/ There is a rudimentary pattern for a crop bra in the article, but I decided to make a proper crop bra today for my twelve-year old Wyandotte hen Lilith who has been having trouble with impacted crop lately due to her aging chest muscles no longer being able to support her crop so it empties after she eats.

View attachment 2651099View attachment 2651100View attachment 2651101View attachment 2651102View attachment 2651103View attachment 2651104Photos are not in exact order of assembly. But you can get the general idea. The most difficult part is sewing a piece of elastic to the bottom of the bra cup and taking tucks in the top so the bra forms a pouch for a better fit. Then the velcro on the straps need to be placed where they will need to be for your own hen's custom fit.

The straps on top go behind the head and the bottom straps criss-cross under the wings and over the back, joining the top straps. I allowed ample velcro to be able to adjust the tightness of the bra, readjusting it as needed to achieve crop emptying. In Lilith's case, she signals with a most queasy look in her eyes and neck gyrations when her crop is not emptying. View attachment 2651122
This is awesome and thank you for sharing!! Quick question though.. do the top straps go over the shoulder (like overalls)? Or horizontal (like a baby bib)? Assuming in both cases straps are under the wings. I’ve purchased two different types and I really just need to make my own. Everything seems to be too small and ill fitting for her big jiggly food boob :)
Thank You!

I have an article on crop issues, how to know them and treat them. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/ There is a rudimentary pattern for a crop bra in the article, but I decided to make a proper crop bra today for my twelve-year old Wyandotte hen Lilith who has been having trouble with impacted crop lately due to her aging chest muscles no longer being able to support her crop so it empties after she eats.

View attachment 2651099View attachment 2651100View attachment 2651101View attachment 2651102View attachment 2651103View attachment 2651104Photos are not in exact order of assembly. But you can get the general idea. The most difficult part is sewing a piece of elastic to the bottom of the bra cup and taking tucks in the top so the bra forms a pouch for a better fit. Then the velcro on the straps need to be placed where they will need to be for your own hen's custom fit.

The straps on top go behind the head and the bottom straps criss-cross under the wings and over the back, joining the top straps. I allowed ample velcro to be able to adjust the tightness of the bra, readjusting it as needed to achieve crop emptying. In Lilith's case, she signals with a most queasy look in her eyes and neck gyrations when her crop is not emptying. View attachment 2651122
I don’t quite understand the straps. They crisscross in the back? But the top stamps go behind the head? Huh? Can you show me please?

Yes. The straps crisscross over the back so they stay put. This pattern is the result of several years of trial and error to come up with something that the hen can't get herself out of. The challenge was substantial.

Back
Top Bottom