Making a crop bra for a hen with pendulous crop

If the crop has zero room in it,you may need to tip her forward and push out a bit of the crop fluids.

The most efficient is a solution of one teaspoon magnesium sulfate salts mixed into half a cup of warm water. This is most easily given by inserting a feeding tube into the esophagus and down into the crop. But you can syringe it if you are careful to insert the syringe into the esophagus so the solution doesn't get into her airway.

All of the solution should be given. Then this should be repeated again a second time in the same day. It's most effective if done for three days. Are you familiar with the chicken throat? Do you have a tube feeding kit?

If the crop has zero room in it,you may need to tip her forward and push out a bit of the crop fluids.

The most efficient is a solution of one teaspoon magnesium sulfate salts mixed into half a cup of warm water. This is most easily given by inserting a feeding tube into the esophagus and down into the crop. But you can syringe it if you are careful to insert the syringe into the esophagus so the solution doesn't get into her airway.

All of the solution should be given. Then this should be repeated again a second time in the same day. It's most effective if done for three days. Are you familiar with the chicken throat? Do you have a tube feeding kit?
No I don’t have a tube feeding kit and I am not that familiar with the throat of a chicken.

2E58EFC7-81BD-4ADE-88BC-5E00F907A388_1_105_c.jpeg
Tube feeding is much easier, believe it or not, than syringing fluids because you need only insert the tube once while you need to reinsert the syringe repeated times to get all the fluid in.

Most vets will have these tube feeding kits and can sell you one at cost if you regularly do business with them for other pets. I paid $3 for mine from my vet. Or you can buy a bit of plastic tubing where they sell aquarium supplies. You will need to find a syringe to fit into the tube. The tube should be around eight or nine inches long and smooth on the end so it won't nick tender tissue in the esophagus.

Insert the tube as you see the syringe being inserted in the photo above. I slide it into the beak along the right side of the throat, gliding slightly under the tongue to avoid the hole in the center of the throat behind the tongue which leads to the airway. Slide the tube in until it's well inside the crop.

It helps to wrap the patient securely in a towel so wings and feet are controlled. Once the tube is in, the patient is normally calm, and she should remain calm as she feels fluids filling her crop.

If you see fluids begin to back up in the tube instead of going down easily, then the crop is full and you should stop to avoid over filling. This will stimulate gentle diarrhea to flush out the system. Be sure to provide plenty of plain water in between flushes. She can eat if she wishes, also.

View attachment 2852802Tube feeding is much easier, believe it or not, than syringing fluids because you need only insert the tube once while you need to reinsert the syringe repeated times to get all the fluid in.

Most vets will have these tube feeding kits and can sell you one at cost if you regularly do business with them for other pets. I paid $3 for mine from my vet. Or you can buy a bit of plastic tubing where they sell aquarium supplies. You will need to find a syringe to fit into the tube. The tube should be around eight or nine inches long and smooth on the end so it won't nick tender tissue in the esophagus.

Insert the tube as you see the syringe being inserted in the photo above. I slide it into the beak along the right side of the throat, gliding slightly under the tongue to avoid the hole in the center of the throat behind the tongue which leads to the airway. Slide the tube in until it's well inside the crop.

It helps to wrap the patient securely in a towel so wings and feet are controlled. Once the tube is in, the patient is normally calm, and she should remain calm as she feels fluids filling her crop.

If you see fluids begin to back up in the tube instead of going down easily, then the crop is full and you should stop to avoid over filling. This will stimulate gentle diarrhea to flush out the system. Be sure to provide plenty of plain water in between flushes. She can eat if she wishes, also.
Thanks for all your help. Will give it a try

Writing the measurements on the fabric itself is really helpful for the photos. I bought a crop bra from Etsy and planned on cloning it to make more, but your alternate design will be helpful, too.
What is the one from Etsy like can you add the link ? Thanks

We have a 6-week old Golden Comet. About 2-weeks ago I noticed her crop was swollen out & squishy (it stays this way most of the time). She does not have a sour smell. Poops all appear normal. She eats & drinks a lot. Her growth is stunted compared to the other 5 hens we got at the same time. We are massaging her crop several times a day & she falls asleep during this. We treated her for sour crop but no change. We tried to make a bra to try but not very good at it & she got very stressed trying to get it off of her. If anyone has a video or a diagram of how to put the bra on it would be very helpful since we are not sure we put it in correctly or even did it tight enough. We don’t know what to do now. She does moved her head & neck like she is trying to get the food to go down.

Attachments

• CC0202A2-EEB9-4518-B1B6-B61820C2A5A4.jpeg
    CC0202A2-EEB9-4518-B1B6-B61820C2A5A4.jpeg
    794.8 KB · Views: 9
Your chick likely has other issues in addition to the large crop. At six weeks, it's extremely rare for pendulous crop.

First, have you verified the crop is not emptying overnight as it should?

If her crop is slow, I would suspect constipation. Try a spoon full of coconut oil and massage.

But first step is to identify the crop disorder by checking it in the morning after the chick hasn't had anything to eat or drink all night.

Your chick likely has other issues in addition to the large crop. At six weeks, it's extremely rare for pendulous crop.

First, have you verified the crop is not emptying overnight as it should?

If her crop is slow, I would suspect constipation. Try a spoon full of coconut oil and massage.

But first step is to identify the crop disorder by checking it in the morning after the chick hasn't had anything to eat or drink all night.
We know she is going to the bathroom & does not appear constipated. But maybe because we are massaging her crop upwards at least 2-3 times a day. We did get her crop to reduce in size by with holding food except limited to yogurt, small amount chick feed & coconut oil for a few days. She seems to be hungry all the time (she gorges).

Back
Top Bottom