making beer and wine or enjoying

Love the wine making.

I have made..... Blueberry, Peach, Rhubarb, Elderberry (favorite), Summer mixed berry, Mead, Peach Mead.
This is the second year doing it.
I want to take a mead recipe and try to substitute the honey with Maple syrup from this years harvest. If anyone has done this I would love some pointers.

We make Honey Mead and variation of it (Raspberry, Almond, Hazelnut, Apricot, etc) We also brew beer (porters, various ales, Trippel, etc).
We haven't tried grape wines yet though.

So...

My son tried his hand at a batch of blackberry wine. He doesn't follow instructions too well. Normally when I start a new endeavor I read everything I can find first. I think he read the first few paragraphs of a book on winemaking...

He got everything into the primary, and then for some reason, put an airlock on it. He left it on the kitchen counter for 5 days (probably around 70 degs most of the time) and didn't bother to check it. Nobody really noticed any vigorous fermentation, but then I don't think anybody was paying attention. Last night I told him he should check on it. We tested it with a hydrometer and it pretty much finished in the primary. .990 on the hydrometer and not a hint of sugar in it, it tastes like a dry blackberry wine... We transferred it to a secondary, with an airlock, and are letting it sit. It is continuing a very slight fermentation and settling out...

Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
It can sit with an air-lock for as long as you like. Just let it do its thing. I noticed with the woodstove making it nice and toasty that one of my wines started to bubble again. Lasted about 2 days. I will let it sit anyway. I don't bottle for at least 6 months.
Your doing fine.

Back
Top Bottom