Making chicken feed with pellet feed mill machine.

Joyze172

Songster
Nov 11, 2018
Central Wisconsin
We have an opportunity to buy a single phase animal pellet mill for making pellets from local feed store that sells the ground feed already made on 100 lb bags cheap.

We have used the ground feed in the past but our chickens were getting upper respitory infections due to the dust and there was so much waste.

Anyone ever used these or have one? Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230213-203547_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230213-203547_Chrome.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 1,082
I would start by wetting the feed and determine if they are wasting it because it is mash or if they are wasting it because they don't like it first.

Thank you for the tip.

My chickens are SUPER picky and don't like crumble, they won't eat it they if I leave only mash and nothing else, they would starve and get hangry.

When I give mash they fling it everywhere and pick out the bigger pieces like corn and the rest looks like I threw a bag of flour everywhere. Its even on them like they rolled in it. I tried wetting it but in the winter everything damp freezes solid in below zero weather.

We were trying to cut feed costs by using mash (was cheaper and they did ok on it when a farmer friend pellet milled it a couple times for us). Our friend can't continue to do it or i would go that option. But it is hard to find info on these machines or anyone who has used them.

Try adding a little apple or blueberries on top. Use hot or warm water to wet it. Mine are not real crazy about their new feed but if I add a little fish, fruit or juice from soup they gobble it up

There could be reasons to make your own pellets, but what the chickens prefer doesn't make that list.
They will not starve themselves in the presence of unspoiled, nutritious feed.
They make affordable, nutritious pellets conveniently packaged in bags at your local store.

Back
Top Bottom