Making Feed at Home

Pics
Thats the great thing
But what is difference between barley and oats?

Barley Grain
Barley Grain is a filler, like corn, but having higher protein values. Its often used where its abundant for that purpose (or the products of barley, like spent brewer's grains). Unfortunately, Barley contains some chemicals which are difficult for most creatures to digest, and can contribute to reduced weight gain in growing birds as well as sticky fecals in birds of all ages - it shouldn't exceed 20% of total diet in a complete feed, 10% is a better figure if enzymes aren't added to aid digestion. Whole, its very resistant to spoilage, but also almost entirely undigestible - its usually steam rolled or flaked.

Oats (de-hulled)
Another corn-like filler, with the hulls removed (or naked), its more protein dense than barley, still with the hulls, its less (but still better than corn). Its also higher fat, which may or may not be a positive depending on the rest of your feed mix, and may be higher or lower fiber (based on the presence of the hulls). Again, this is used as a filler where its readily available. Like Barley, Oats contain some polysaccharides which contribute to sticky fecals, quantity in the feed should be limited.

Now, comparing the two - Due to the digestibility of their starches and higher fat content, Oats have a higher total energy value, meaning birds need to eat less to meet their caloric needs. You can compare relative differences in average fat, protein, fiber above or in the chart I linked earlier. While there is wide variability based on location, time of year, cultivar, etc, differences in the grounds where these crops are raised generally results in barley containing more Potassium, Copper, and Iron, while Oats tend to be higher in Manganese. They have similar amino acid profiles per pound fed, with oats being slightly superior across the board in terms of the four we most focus on - Methionine, Lysine, Threonine, and Tryptophan.

Haven't located a reputable source yet to compare vitamin content of various feeds, but grains tend to be very high in B-vitamins, and a good source of selenium too. Which is better? Couldn't tell you. (yet)

Last edited:
Barley Grain is a filler, like corn
"Filler"?

I usually think it means something with no food value, that's just added to take up space.
Wikipedia seems to support that meaning:

"In processed animal foods, a filler is an ingredient added to provide dietary fiber, bulk or some other non-nutritive purpose."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filler_(animal_food)

But you are listing barley & oats as having useful amounts of energy (calories), some amount of protein, and certain vitamins & minerals.

So when you call barley or corn a "filler," what do you mean?

"Filler"?

I usually think it means something with no food value, that's just added to take up space.
Wikipedia seems to support that meaning:

"In processed animal foods, a filler is an ingredient added to provide dietary fiber, bulk or some other non-nutritive purpose."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filler_(animal_food)

But you are listing barley & oats as having useful amounts of energy (calories), some amount of protein, and certain vitamins & minerals.

So when you call barley or corn a "filler," what do you mean?
I mean that its impossible to make a complete feed using one of these as the main ingredient. One can, arguably, start with hard winter wheat as the main feed ingredient, then suppliment your way to a complete feed. One can start with soy meal, and fill in (or at times, thin out - as is done by adding corn) your way to a complete feed.

In the case of barley and oats, while they have nutritional value, both of them are below targets on essentially every compenent of the end feed goal, and their anti-nutritive components make it so that they should not exceed 20% of the total diet in any case, preferably less. In my mind, that makes them "filler". Potentially useful filler, yes (if not, why bother???), but filler none the same.

The various Millets, and Sorghum are similar. They have uses, yes, but are generally below nutrition targets across the board, and have anti-nutritive properties that prevent them from being a major component of the final feed - primarily tannins in the case of Sorghum.

They "fill in", thus, filler. Its descriptive, not perjorative.

Last edited:
A veterinary doctor in my country shared this formula
Unit: kg
For 100kg feed
85 Corn
5 wheat
1.5 White Bean
1.5 Black Gram
1.5 Mung dehusked
1 Peanut
1 Sesame seed
2 peas green
1.5 oats
2 wheat barn
1.5barley
Is this good?
@U_Stormcrow have a look for knowledge

Last edited:
You can get rye at brewers stores too. Ask them if they got any old grains that are buggy or they are getting rid of for other reasons. may be a cheap source of wheat / barleys ryes etc etc

Aaron

You can get rye at brewers stores too. Ask them if they got any old grains that are buggy or they are getting rid of for other reasons. may be a cheap source of wheat / barleys ryes etc etc

Aaron
Wheat is cheap
Its like $1 or less per kg
Same for
Corn, Peas, Grams, Beans etc
Oats are $3-4 per kg
Just
Rye is expensive just

Now I have all the ingredients mentioned at Page No.5 of this thread
Gonna make feed soon
Hurray

Coming in late to this discussion but thought I'd add my 2 cents since I've made my own feed for 2 years or more.

I wouldn't use rye as the chickens don't like it; they'll pick it out, go around it, refuse to eat the feed.

Please, don't ever feed chickens whole beans that are dried. They can't digest the enzyme on the shell. Cooked beans are fine.

Rice I've never used since it seems to be empty of nutrition and low in protein.

I buy from the local feed store fish protein and a mineral/vitamin mix. Both go in my feed to make sure they're getting everything they need.

Oats are good in moderation. My research indicated to make sure they are NOT more than 25% of your mix. Otherwise, your girls will have the runs. I can confirm this rule....😖

Some wonderful person posted a link to a spreadsheet she had created which I'm unable to attach. It has been super helpful and sounds like it is similar to your spreadsheet. Yours has more nutrition info so I'll use both.

As interesting info, after a hen hatched out her chicks, she completely ignored the "chick starter" I had purchased for them and took the chicks to the fermented chicken feed that everyone got.

By the way, I always ferment my feed. It increased the B vitamin profile, eliminates the enzymes that prevent digestibility, and provides digestive enzymes, pre and probiotics and more. I've had only 2 chicks in 3 years (35 or so chicks) with pasty butt. No other digestive issues with the hens.

Coming in late to this discussion but thought I'd add my 2 cents since I've made my own feed for 2 years or more.

I wouldn't use rye as the chickens don't like it; they'll pick it out, go around it, refuse to eat the feed.

Please, don't ever feed chickens whole beans that are dried. They can't digest the enzyme on the shell. Cooked beans are fine.

Rice I've never used since it seems to be empty of nutrition and low in protein.

I buy from the local feed store fish protein and a mineral/vitamin mix. Both go in my feed to make sure they're getting everything they need.

Oats are good in moderation. My research indicated to make sure they are NOT more than 25% of your mix. Otherwise, your girls will have the runs. I can confirm this rule....😖

Some wonderful person posted a link to a spreadsheet she had created which I'm unable to attach. It has been super helpful and sounds like it is similar to your spreadsheet. Yours has more nutrition info so I'll use both.

As interesting info, after a hen hatched out her chicks, she completely ignored the "chick starter" I had purchased for them and took the chicks to the fermented chicken feed that everyone got.

By the way, I always ferment my feed. It increased the B vitamin profile, eliminates the enzymes that prevent digestibility, and provides digestive enzymes, pre and probiotics and more. I've had only 2 chicks in 3 years (35 or so chicks) with pasty butt. No other digestive issues with the hens.
Do you have an estimate of what it costs you to make your feed per pound?

Do you have an estimate of what it costs you to make your feed per pound?
Here's a link to the webpage for the spreadsheet. My cost is $1.57 per feed, which I THINK is 12 or so cups. It's difficult to figure out. Frankly, I don't worry about it though because I know the feed is very fresh.

Forgot to mention that I DO NOT grind anything. Chickens have gizzards for that function. Below is my latest feed recipe, which changes based on availability and my budget. It is in ratios. I.e., 1 part this, 2 parts that. The part can be any measurement you want (cups, sauce pan, gallon bucket).

Alfalfa pellets 1 part
Fish meal 1 part
Flax seed 1/2 part
Hard wheat 4 parts
Kelp 1/2 part
Lentils 2 parts
Oats 1 part
Peas 2 parts
This came out to 20.2% protein. My girls free range as well so I aim for a higher protein content since they dilute with greens and whatever else they forage.

I use 5 gallon food grade buckets with a gamma lid. Set out all the 50# grain bags in a circle, stack 2 buckets and start filling once around. Stir and repeat. Be careful of dust.

As an aside, I don't use anything soy because it can cause women to have hormone issues bad enough to cause miscarriages. Yes, this happened to a friend, twice until she stopped using soy in her chicken feed.

Back
Top Bottom