1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Making feed for cost savings

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chaneg78, Feb 4, 2012.

1. chaneg78

chaneg78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Hudson IN
    Is anyone making their own food and saving money over buying feed from the store? I have room to plant different plants that i would need, but i was wondering is it a big cost savings, is it worth the trouble? Right now we are buying about one hundred pounds of feed a week.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I see you are also in the midwest. Sure, we can garden and raise things the birds enjoy. But let's face it. 80-90% of their diet, apart from free ranging, is going to come from their feed, for most of us. A local feed mill often sells a locally ground feed for roughly half what a "rural lifestyle" store sells pre-bagged, fancy label feed. That's where the savings come from.

If I had to buy all the ingredients, along with a vitamin/mineral pack, I'd not save a penny. I know. I've done the math a dozen times. We pay $19.50 a hundred for a complete, 17% layer formula. FWIW.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I mix my feed (see my BYC page) but it is more expensive due to my ingredients. If you can find a lot of it from a farmer or grow it yourself then it would save money maybe.

4. Ardizzone7

Ardizzone7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Redkey, IN
    I am curious about this too. I am also in Indiana. My neighbor just gave me a bag of different seeds for growning my own chicken feed. Is it really worth my while. the bag contains 4oz white proso millet, 4oz dundale peas and 2oz grain sorghum. How easily do they grow in Indiana soil? We have a lot of clay here. Any information would be appreciated.

5. louloubean

louloubean Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    OC, NY
    i'm heading into year three of keeping chickens.
    thank you so much for this thread, and those links!

that answered a lot!

i have found that giving the birds all my kitchens scraps, leftovers and fridge cleanouts, i save some money and they get some extra nutrition.
    i use what i rake out of the coop on my gardens (after at least 6 months of composting) and this system is working out very well for us.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

100 lbs of feed, per week, is 2 1/2 tons of feed per year. Growing a few tons of feed, harvesting, drying, grinding and storing it all requires a commitment, space, acreage, equipment, labor and know-how. That which can be grown, processed and stored will be of great cost benefit. That which must be purchased? Not so much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by