Making hen go broody

badboyk1n9

Chirping
Apr 21, 2021
So my only hen(vanaraja from breed) is very lonely. I have a few fertilized eggs and during lockdown i couldn't find another chicken. So i decided to keep the fertilized chicken into her nest. But she broke one. So i further decided to put fake eggs into her nest. How much time would if take for her to grow broody?

So my only hen(vanaraja from breed) is very lonely. I have a few fertilized eggs and during lockdown i couldn't find another chicken. So i decided to keep the fertilized chicken into her nest. But she broke one. So i further decided to put fake eggs into her nest. How much time would if take for her to grow broody?
It varies from chicken to chicken. What breed is she?

There is no way to make a hen go broody. You might have to hatch the eggs in an incubator. Are you sure there are no older hens you can get for her? There isn’t anywhere around you that you could even get rescue hens (ex-battery hens) from? Also eggs normally only stay fertile for around 2 weeks, the longer it is the less likely they’ll hatch.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Remove the real eggs. Keep the fake eggs and cross your fingers. That's about all you can do and it's not likely to result in a broody hen. It is a hormonal condition. You cannot make them go broody and they never do it on your schedule.

Back
Top Bottom