Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

Well, hopefully, he got the deed done and died happy.

In terms of coloration, he looked a lot like she - so if I have to replace him, I'll do so with a bunny that resembles neither Blackberry nor Peanut Bunny, simply for ID purposes. Maybe a CA White? I wonder (but not enough to be motivated to look up) how bunnies are normally ID'd. Ear tags just don't seem practical. Or is it a physical check after those few occasions when they are brought together for mating?
Ear tattoos. Super easy if your tattoo Gunnisnt garbage

Good to know, and no, I don't think that's a practical option for me. But thanks!
It's pretty easy to buy a set of tattoo pliers meant for rabbit ears, but that would mean you have to buy it, use it, store it between uses, not lose it, etc.

If you know anyone who raises rabbits (especially purebreds for shows), you could ask if they're willing to tattoo a few for you. The American Rabbit Breeders Association requires tattoos for all rabbits at shows, and any registered rabbit gets a special tattoo in the other ear, so anyone who deals with rabbit shows WILL have a way of tattooing rabbits.

I wonder (but not enough to be motivated to look up) how bunnies are normally ID'd. Ear tags just don't seem practical. Or is it a physical check after those few occasions when they are brought together for mating?

For people who aren't showing rabbits, but who do keep them in individual escape-proof cages, it works well to just label the cage rather than the rabbits. And if you put them together for mating, watch them do it, and then take the doe back to her own cage, it's pretty easy to be sure you have the right rabbit.

Yes, multiple colors makes it easy. And if you get any with white spotting, you can often recognize them by slightly different spotting patterns too.

I may shrink the cage height slightly, bend the wire, to make a stiffer cage, given the size.

Will make a picture.
18-24" is pretty standard. Only need to do higher for your benefit. It ends up being wasted space for the rabbits. Make sure to only make it as deep as you can comfortable reach from the access door.
No need to have to climb halfway in because you were being cheap and built that pen from a 4x4 crate and didnt want to make 2 doors and a dividing wall.

Back
Top Bottom