Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

Pics
And here we go. You can see some of the subcutaneous fat I was able to save. Liver is in good shape. So is the heart. Gizzard and neck look normal. Plenty of fat around the internal organs as well. Melts at too low a temperature, not suitable for links, but fine for making sausage patties.

16243952810811216863558178447713.jpg
16243953379095962220704594697506.jpg

Photos both sides, so you could compare the fat levels. 6.72 lb processed skinless. Anytime my yield is around 67%, particularly skinless, I can't complain

Last edited:
And here we go. You can see some of the subcutaneous fat I was able to save. Liver is in good shape. So is the heart. Gizzard and neck look normal. Plenty of fat around the internal organs as well. Melts at too low a temperature, not suitable for links, but fine for making sausage patties.

View attachment 2730477View attachment 2730479

Photos both sides, so you could compare the fat levels. 6.72 lb processed skinless. Anytime my yield is around 67%, particularly skinless, I can't complain

I know you like sausage, but what a pot of chicken and dumplings she'd make.

(I will admit here in these forums to sometimes using the fat from the simmered hens instead of shortening or oil when making the dumplings).

I know you like sausage, but what a pot of chicken and dumplings she'd make.

(I will admit here in these forums to sometimes using the fat from the simmered hens instead of shortening or oil when making the dumplings).
If we weren't braising the first bird I butchered in bar b q sauce, then chicken soup, chicken stew, or chicken & dumplings would be the plan. My wife just cancelled dinner (we were going out for sushi, but she's not feeling well), so I have time to do either the spare drake, or another chicken. Going to do the drake, for flock harmony.

But I WILL have to take some of the extra hens soon. I'll post some photos, next message, of girls I'm considering sending to camp...

So, help me pick...

Option 1 - Black bird, green sheen, a bit of pale show around the neck, appears white in most light.

1624398066451.png

Option 2 - Barred Bird, a bit of brown leakage on the wing.
1624398504949.png

Option 3 - Another barred bird, this time a Brahma Mama, pattern is a mess (which sort of has me thinking I save this one, and watch for offspring for the ones that don't get the dominant barring)
1624398832940.png

Options 4 &5
1624399130878.png

Option 6 - Just "wow"
1624399488515.png

What do you use for the casings for the sausage? I mentioned sausage for any cockerels we don't process before 16 weeks but my family thinks it would be too much work.
Most of the time I make patties, because its easy. When I do use casings, I use the artificial ones made from collagen. A 19mm smoked (good for "hot dogs") casing [about 3/4" dia] is the usual. Sometimes, I'll use a 30mm not smoked, for something closer to a bratwurst.

I've used natural casings before, too inconsistent, easy to get blow outs where the walls are thin, easy to leave them too salty, and they don't keep at all. Not worth the effort, living out here in the middle of nowhere. If I had to, sure, I could - I've got goats. But given the choice??? I'll use the man-made uniform collagen casings, thanks.

Last edited:
You may, of course, pick more than one. You know what??? Pick the bird or two you would consider saving (if any) to advance the breed project. I'm leaning towards 3 and 6, personally. For "reasons" given above.

#6 seems well on the way to what you want with mixed color and pattern.

You know that #3 has the genetics for penciled to pass to her offspring. #2 has the brown leakage that could promise red in some offspring.

(I'd put #1, 3, 4, or 5 in my own flock -- but that's totally wrong for you. :D )

So, help me pick...

Option 1 - Black bird, green sheen, a bit of pale show around the neck, appears white in most light.

View attachment 2730525

Option 2 - Barred Bird, a bit of brown leakage on the wing.
View attachment 2730534

Option 3 - Another barred bird, this time a Brahma Mama, pattern is a mess (which sort of has me thinking I save this one, and watch for offspring for the ones that don't get the dominant barring)
View attachment 2730539

Options 4 &5
View attachment 2730543

Option 6 - Just "wow"
View attachment 2730546
I have a couple questions. How many breeding roosters are you willing to keep in your flock? How many brahma mixes do you have other than #3 and #4?

Back
Top Bottom