Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

Pics
Well, we had a short downpour so if you did send it up, thank you. (First thing I did after work was check that the chicks were dry and comfy).
Stopped raining here hours ago, it was chaining northwards at the time. I've been out moving drainage rock. Its like 95% humidity, but its only 73 degrees, so I'm sweating like a pig on a roasting spit, but I'm not on my knees with my heart pounding, so its a win. Anyone know how much rock a typical spade full is? I've done 18 spadefulls per wagon load, 14 times. Headed out to do it again. Thinking its maybe a cubic yard? Well, technically, its a flat blade shovel. Full length handle.

Bad day to be a [strikethru] dominant [/strikethru] (edited, TY @NatJ) Z-silver "white" cockerel with some pattern showing. Butchering at the homestead!

1633557847103.png

First bird (oldest, but immature testes) was 4.73# live, 3.3# processed. I need to check calendar, but should be either 19 or 22 weeks in age if my mental math is right. Going to work younger from here.

1633557875620.png

Will edit as I progress.

1633558032191.png

Two more birds (think i forgot to photo the last, but it looked like the others. 4.3# live weight, a little over 3# processed, and 3.5# live weight (tonight's dinner), about 2.25# processed. I did a fancy butcher on it.
1633558171787.png

Last edited:
Bad day to be a dominant white cockerel with some pattern showing. Butchering!

The ones in the pictures have Silver (turns gold to white, is dominant, is on the Z sex chromosome), not Dominant White (turns black to white, is dominant, is not on the Z sex chromosome.)

Still a bad day from perspective of those birds, though :)

The ones in the pictures have Silver (turns gold to white, is dominant, is on the Z sex chromosome), not Dominant White (turns black to white, is dominant, is not on the Z sex chromosome.)

Still a bad day from perspective of those birds, though :)
i VERY MUCH appreciate the correction, thank you.

Which ones are your current flock sires?

In theory, the sires are Pretty Boy, Big Barred, and Phoenix Blue - but Pretty Boy does most of the mounting, when he's not chasing off Big Barred (never mind that Big Barred outweighs him by at least a pound, probably more since last weigh in, and is younger), and Phoenix Blue has shown interest in some ladies, but his crow keeps "breaking", so I'm not sure he's fathered much.

Back
Top Bottom