Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

Pics
Any updates on gender? I'm wondering if T-3 is male and S White is female. Which would {at least partially} account for S White not being as good of a "gainer" as T-3. (Wouldn't it? LOL)

Fair confident Thing Three is a male. In fact, I've heard early efforts at crowing (unfortunately, not close enough to see T3 doing it, it may have been T4) I've not asked the assistance of the crowd in sexing S. White - this coming week, with the new weigh in and photos - but my guess is that she's female, and even assuming that's the case, the weight gain just isn't there. Three of her siblings are meeting or exceeding her gains, yet she is the only one born of the CornishX hen - though the amount of black in the plumage of the moderate growers is making the parentage of Doc, Dopey, and Bash a little questionable still. The combs should tell, next week.

Fair confident Thing Three is a male. In fact, I've heard early efforts at crowing (unfortunately, not close enough to see T3 doing it, it may have been T4) I've not asked the assistance of the crowd in sexing S. White - this coming week, with the new weigh in and photos - but my guess is that she's female, and even assuming that's the case, the weight gain just isn't there. Three of her siblings are meeting or exceeding her gains, yet she is the only one born of the CornishX hen - though the amount of black in the plumage of the moderate growers is making the parentage of Doc, Dopey, and Bash a little questionable still. The combs should tell, next week.
Oh, Yea. I agree if "she"' is behind her siblings. Not good for your project! (Unless they are ALL males. Would that make a difference? Or not due to the difference in hens they are out of? (Shouldn't a female from a CornishX still gain faster than a male from a smaller hen. Kind of seems like it to ME. But what do I know? LOL)

Somewhere someone mentioned that a dwarf hen is used in making CX. My CX mix sometimes produces smaller hens. I had been selling them for backyard layers, but may see what they produce.

Note to self - a quick internet search turns up no hits. If I do ever hit my desired end goals, I think I'm going to call these "Clay Rangers".

We have two birds of P01-03 hatched so far, one quit, three more externally pipped, and six still cooking. Will edit as they make appearances, and photograph as usual

/Edit (2:30 pm) another has now hatched (three total), and a further three have pipped externally.

/Edit (4:00 pm) another hatched (four total), leaving two externally pipped (one making good progress towards a zip. The other is seemingly taking a nap)

/Edit (4:30 pm) another hatched (five total). No new pippers. Another mostly/all black chick. Waiting for it to dry some and fluff up before taking a photo.

/Edit (6:00 pm) another external pip

/Edit (8:30 pm) Six are now hatched, no external pips on the remainder. Calling it a night.

Last edited:
P01-03 (Unnamed #1)

There is a lot of yellow tint in this one, hoping that becomes red in the adult plumage.

1614031664624.png

Back
Top Bottom