Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

Pics
and the other three of the hatch.

Dusk Red
1632669525251.png

Midnight Moon
(Has a tiny white spot at the base of the tail, otherwise black as pitch on top, no hint of red in the feathers like Dusk has)
1632669965988.png

Cloudy Day (Like Foggy Morn, but easier to photo! A trace "lighter" in color overall, too.)
1632670313814.png

That truly was the best photo of multiple attempts!

Well, I couldn't even count my new chicks until I took them out of the brooder and put them into buckets of known numbers so I'm not going to criticize it.

Sunshine and Overcast look promising for progressing on patterned + red/brown goals.

The weather girls (and boys) are out in the grow out pen now, we had one hatching overnight - still in the incubator keeping warm and fluffing up. Black with white belly, I didn't see any feathers on the feet. External pips on at least two other shells, mabye three (bad angle on the last, its in back).

We have one born overnight/early AM. Black, white belly, white wing tips. Its a pattern we've seen a bunch of.

We have one fatality - incubator accident. It hatched itself, tripped over the little plastic wall and went face first into 1/4" of water keeping the humidity up for hatching. Never heard it struggle, and I've been right by the incubator for at least part of the AM. All yellow bird, no foot feathers. Now disposed of - and I'm thinking I'll use a spong in the future to fix this design flaw.

We have another hatching as i type this - again, yellow but with dark chipmunk down the back, and black markings on the wings as well - will remove it as soon as its completely free of the shell, and transfer to the heated brooder box and a dry towel. Its on its back currently, butt stuck in shell.

We have one born overnight/early AM. Black, white belly, white wing tips. Its a pattern we've seen a bunch of.

We have one fatality - incubator accident. It hatched itself, tripped over the little plastic wall and went face first into 1/4" of water keeping the humidity up for hatching. Never heard it struggle, and I've been right by the incubator for at least part of the AM. All yellow bird, no foot feathers. Now disposed of - and I'm thinking I'll use a spong in the future to fix this design flaw.

We have another hatching as i type this - again, yellow but with dark chipmunk down the back, and black markings on the wings as well - will remove it as soon as its completely free of the shell, and transfer to the heated brooder box and a dry towel. Its on its back currently, butt stuck in shell.

What incubator? Could you post a photo of the problem area so people can be on the lookout?

What incubator? Could you post a photo of the problem area so people can be on the lookout?
Its a Kerbonix 12 egg incubator - looks like all the other round 12 egg incubators. There's a central well to hold water (filled from the outside via a chanel underneath) with two chambers, a deep one and a shallow one, with a little plastic wall between.

When you remove the white central "disk" and the yellow egg separator, the center well is exposed. Alternatively (and what I've done for now) is put the white disk back in place. NOT something them mention in the instructions, and NOT something I've had problems with before.

This death we are going to attribute to "user error" - the fault is mine.

1632764074119.png

Back
Top Bottom