Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

Pics
Hey Stormcrow, I have a question a bit off topic, but considering how much you process, I'm hoping you might have experience.

Have you ever had a bird that had their gallbladder start leaking into the liver before you processed it? As in, it was definitely not from you accidentally cutting it.
Not yet, though I imagine it might be possible. One of the birds I culled (was it only yesterday?) I ruptured the gall bladder while scooping out the liver and other organs. Everything about that (older) bird was tough. The skin was leathery, all the attachments were inusually strong, the membranes holding the oprgans in place, etc. So as I was scooping and tugging, I broke the liver in three and rupture the gall bladder wher it attaches to the liver. First time ever.

Okay, dang. We had a pullet
Not yet, though I imagine it might be possible. One of the birds I culled (was it only yesterday?) I ruptured the gall bladder while scooping out the liver and other organs. Everything about that (older) bird was tough. The skin was leathery, all the attachments were inusually strong, the membranes holding the oprgans in place, etc. So as I was scooping and tugging, I broke the liver in three and rupture the gall bladder wher it attaches to the liver. First time ever.
(Maybe a cockerel? It was a silkie, and we only found one bit that looked like a teste, didn't find a second) that died and when we looked at her internally, her liver around the gallbladder was all dark green and the beginning of the intestines connecting to the gizzard looked like it had started dying. Was hoping maybe someone else had seen something similar. Didn't think to grab pictures though cause I was just relieved her liver wasn't full of spots

Okay, dang. We had a pullet

(Maybe a cockerel? It was a silkie, and we only found one bit that looked like a teste, didn't find a second) that died and when we looked at her internally, her liver around the gallbladder was all dark green and the beginning of the intestines connecting to the gizzard looked like it had started dying. Was hoping maybe someone else had seen something similar. Didn't think to grab pictures though cause I was just relieved her liver wasn't full of spots
doesn't trrigger any memories of anything I've read, but I'll keep an eye out, should I run across something similar

I know i tend to call colors thi bff s that they aren't around my chicken friemds just to rry and make it easier for them to know what I'm saying. Like buff laced becomes white laced buff and gold laced becomes black laced gold now that blue laced golds are a thing
Yeah it is… I have start posting over on my thread possibilities of the genetics I may have I did find the Crested Cream Legbar genetic profile so I posted in my musings over what genes my Olive Eggers may have in the woodpile. My feeble stabs at genetics. I found more genetic explained pages so I will add them to my resource/studies thread.

I need to research Double Breasted genetics next… the Naked Necks have it and I want to preserve that.

Yeah it is… I have start posting over on my thread possibilities of the genetics I may have I did find the Crested Cream Legbar genetic profile so I posted in my musings over what genes my Olive Eggers may have in the woodpile. My feeble stabs at genetics. I found more genetic explained pages so I will add them to my resource/studies thread.

I need to research Double Breasted genetics next… the Naked Necks have it and I want to preserve that.
Perhaps introduce cornish? Not CornishX, real cornish. I know the bantams have that trait, I'm assuming the standards do too

Perhaps introduce cornish? Not CornishX, real cornish. I know the bantams have that trait, I'm assuming the standards do too
That‘s not a bad idea… I should be able to find a few straight run proper Cornish if I call around and I am willing to drive to another county when the feed stores start carrying chicks here. My best bet will be a place up the hill (mountain) in a county over.

That‘s not a bad idea… I should be able to find a few straight run proper Cornish if I call around and I am willing to drive to another county when the feed stores start carrying chicks here. My best bet will be a place up the hill (mountain) in a county over.
Ideal and Murray McMurray have them. Feed stores usually just have the crisses

The one I am thinking of is a bit different in what they carry… so it’s a long drive but they usually have breeds I can’t find at TSC or Western Feed, I could order them though, been cruising the hatcheries mulling over if I should… the hard to find is Rosecomb Rhode Island of any color… what the heck? It’s like looking for a mythical beast… 😂 Also no heritage RIW from what I can tell even straight comb.

I've had bantam Cornish from Ideal, and standards (several colors) from both Ideal and McMurray.

The standards were more solid and meaty than other dual purpose breeds, but not to the point of being really obvious. To me, they still look like a "normal" chicken (both alive and after I've butchered them.) The bantams are little round balls, very wide, with a big breast. They really are a different shape than other chickens.

I'm not sure if the difference is just caused by their size, or whether the bantams are closer to the "right" standard than the big ones because of the way hatcheries breed them, or if there is any other factor involved. I've read that "good" standard Cornish (breeder quality, not hatchery quality) are really wide, just like the bantams I've seen, but that the standard ones are also quite awkward, and can even get stranded on their backs unable to turn over again. The bantams do not seem to have any kind of mobility problems.

Back
Top Bottom