Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

Took a hen, a Roo, and a young-ish duck today. Sig updated.
20220814_114055.jpg
20220814_114106.jpg
20220814_115844.jpg

Good color, decent to heavy fat level, good condition on the organs.

20220814_122203.jpg

20220814_122207.jpg

20220814_122223.jpg

His feet were a little odd, but I found no evidence of nutritional problems internally, nor evidence of injury externally. Gout??? Didn't have time to dissect to look at the bones directly.

20220814_122207.jpg

20220814_122243.jpg

20220814_125114.jpg
Pretty bird, I just have too many Roos, and he's more mahogany than orange/gold. Parted him out before removing organs, not displeased.

No duck photo.

One bag with organs, one with bones for soup, one with all the legs and thighs for braising, one with the breasts for grinding.

Yes, but the ones currently broody didn't get culled ;) Time after next unless they have hatchlings in tow...

I just took another hen, no picture, all black. 4.18# live weight. Also brahma ancestry, legs were pale white, which I take to mean not currently laying. Her fat was right where I want it - but the storm rolling in made me rush the job.

Didn't get to either of the roosters I wanted to take today, or the ducks I need to remove.

...and I have two small birds I didn't incubate, one white, one grey, who are coming up on 2 months of age.

So, I foresee another culling in the very near future, since those last two birds will make very moist and tender baked chicken, while the ducks will add to the "meatiness" of the poultry I'm soon to grind.

I thru them to the rest of the flock to keep them away from the table I was butchering on. I have way too many eggs right now, with my main buyer gone, which is also motivating the cull.
Do I see another chicken in the background watching you do this? What could their thoughts be?

Mine love when I throw the... bits from the cockerels. The rest, they seem to prefer over nothing, but not as much as those.... bits
The yolk balls in the hens. Like I was throwing gold onto the street. Even more than the boy bits. But yes, both are definitely much sought after treats.

Somehow, I suspect this was not the response @Nyhillbillies was anticipating.

The yolk balls in the hens. Like I was throwing gold onto the street. Even more than the boy bits. But yes, both are definitely much sought after treats.

Somehow, I suspect this was not the response @Nyhillbillies was anticipating.
I have yet to have a hen with yolk balls, processed or necropsied. One had a full egg in her, but none after that. I imagine it would definitely be an egg-xiting treat though

Back
Top Bottom