Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

So a total of 3 hatched this time?
SO far, more in the incubator - placed there over several days. I candled earlier, three others look well developed or four, I'm tired and don't recall which, but only saw clear movement in one - the other shells were dark enough between the shell and thew bird inside that I couldn't see any motion with the light I was using. Need to dig up the real candling light, not the wimpy thing on the top of the incubator.

SO far, more in the incubator - placed there over several days. I candled earlier, three others look well developed or four, I'm tired and don't recall which, but only saw clear movement in one - the other shells were dark enough between the shell and thew bird inside that I couldn't see any motion with the light I was using. Need to dig up the real candling light, not the wimpy thing on the top of the incubator.

I got this at a significant discount from their "scratch and dent" section: https://brinsea.com/p-533-ovascope-egg-scope.aspx

You might watch for one because I can candle effectively in broad daylight with this device.

Number 4 says hello.

1689767740173.png

Top down view -
1689767801514.png

So far, I'd have to say I'm locking in the gold base - though middle right seems pale, I wonder if that's Gold/Silver?

Anyhow, so far happy, healthy, no pasty, normal poos, normal behaviors. Just wish there were more of them.

Expect they won't start laying till Spring, so it does nothing to help egg production in the near term. Will need to set another batch as soon as the incubator is empty and cleaned out.

Something that keeps my feed bowls upright is to put them in a Rubbermaid container. I put a brick next to or under the bowl. They can't tip the Rubbermaid container because of the brick, and if they tip the bowl, all the feed is contained. I can either put the top on and take it back into the house, or put the top on, and place the brick on top of that to keep out any mice.

Still just the four - I'm leaving the remaining eggs in the incubator thru the weekend, but becoming increasingly less hopeful. All three have well defined air sacks, all three seem dang dark where a bird should be - they must be developed, no idea what's going on here. Parents visiting over the weekend, not sure I will have opportunity to eggtopsy

Back
Top Bottom