Making loft in brooder idea. Is it safe?

Totally optional idea for you, but try adding a solid beam or several beams a couple inches above the board and see if they like it. You could secure it with a zip tie to the side. Like a 1"-2" diameter wood dowell or broom handle. Chickens love to perch, it is natural, and the board will be like a poop board. Boards are great except they tend to end up walking around an covered in their own excrement sitting in it at night, except for the smarter ones that know not to poop on the board.

Here is a large hen and rooster and this is where they used to sleep.
20210510_191859.jpg

Some smaller ones too, these beams are about 8' off the ground with a ramp to get up.
20210510_191834.jpg

I know babies don't perch, but yours look like they would and it is worth a try.

Totally optional idea for you, but try adding a solid beam or several beams a couple inches above the board and see if they like it. You could secure it with a zip tie to the side. Like a 1"-2" diameter wood dowell or broom handle. Chickens love to perch, it is natural, and the board will be like a poop board. Boards are great except they tend to end up walking around an covered in their own excrement sitting in it at night, except for the smarter ones that know not to poop on the board.

Here is a large hen and rooster and this is where they used to sleep.
View attachment 2662560

Some smaller ones too, these beams are about 8' off the ground with a ramp to get up.
View attachment 2662561

I know babies don't perch, but yours look like they would and it is worth a try.
They do have a small perch in under the loft (yes I know they like to perch higher but they still sleep either under or on the MHP which is lower so figured they may transition to the perch for sleeping. They love to sit on the perch though. There is only 15" or so from the loft to the top of the crate so don't think a perch and them would fit up there with out hitting the top. Once I take out the MHP, think in a couple days I am going to make another perch for them as well to go in the spot where the MHP is.

Back
Top Bottom