Making Mille Fleur from scratch

It takes three things to make a mille fleur: you need the Columbian gene, the mottling gene, and something to make a red/buff background. The red/buff background, in turn, can come from either wheaten -- E(Wh) -- partridge -- E(b) -- or duckwing -- e+ .

In theory, I hope Henk will correct me if I'm wrong, the columbian will restrict the black from the body of the birds leaving the body buff coloured.

Using mottled over buff columbian (or the other way around). If the mottled birds are mottled on extended black as one might expect the F1s will all be black. Possibly with some leakage. They would give a genotype E/eb, Co/co+,Mo+/mo. If you put that into the chicken calculator leaving all other genes, it will calculate the F2s. There ought to be some mille fleur in the F2s if you breed enough.
big_smile.png

Quote:
I can't elaborate very much. It was just a brief comment in an email from Sigrid van Dort, saying that the problem with using wheaten for mf was that the distribution of black pigment could be uneven. I dunno anything else!

Ah the black pigment, I see, thanks.
smile.png
I expect that's why brown (eb) is said to be best for mille fleur.
Tim said in the other thread, about wheaten females having less black pigment.

I wonder whether mahogany makes a difference when making mille fleur on wheaten?
The Jubilee Orps & Speckled Sussex both have mahogany & there is no lack of black on either of those. With my birds (on wheaten) I seem to get more trouble not having enough white mottle.
Also I've been looking at that mottled wheaten hen of mine as she goes by. She isn't heavily mottled but she definitely has the black line above the mottle. Does not have columbian but she might have mahogany.

When I put mottling from exchequer leghorns onto (light) brown leghorns (e+), (I wasn't trying to make mille fleur or anything....it segregated out into different types of mottling.
hmm.png
) Anyway, the mottles on the salmon breasts of the females, which is the same type of pigment a the body of the wheaten females, also had black lines.

I've seen some pictures in Sigi's book where she has mottling on wheaten seramas which are white mottles with no black.

I wish I knew what made the difference.

To restart ths useful discussion --

Can anyone hazard some guesses as to what could be affecting the distribution of black pigment on closely related birds?

I have "good" birds, with fairly even distribution -- like this:

601647021_LTkaS-M.jpg

And then I have "not so good" birds, with less even distribution -- like this:

605820175_doZhc-L.jpg

Anybody got a clue?

I found this on another site someone made a Mille Fleur pattern on a malay..
Chris

e wh -- wheaten down color. Wheaten/whitish colored female. Male Red/Silver hackle and saddle, with a black breast.

s -- sex link gold, we want a red bird, not a white/silver one. Now we have a Gold Wheaten instead of a Silver Wheaten.

Co -- columbian Removes the black from the breast of the male. Now we have a Buff Columbian. Makes males and females the same color.

mo -- mottled. recessive 2 genes required. This adds the black bar and white dot. to the end of the feather. Now we have a Mille Fleur!!!

If we add one gene of Bl we will have a Blue Mille Fleur. If we add 2 genes we will have a Golden Neck.

Take the same Mile Fleur that we just built. If lav -- lavender is added in 2 doses (it's recessive) we will have a Porcelain.

Back
Top Bottom