Making Mille Fleur from scratch

I Love these kinds of posts..We should see some results from our project jubilees this late fall or in early winter..

we have mottled orp project birds growing out and some of those hens just started laying, also have speckled sussex X Buff orp birds growing out.

we will be mating all 4 of these projects in different breeder pens..speckled sussex, Buff orp sussex crosses and two blood lines of mottled orpington project birds, all will be used in combinations in one way or another, line breeding as well..possible porcelain may come about as well.

~Wilds~

Last edited:
Quote:
I also found this on the same site..
eWH/eWH Co/co+ db+/db+ pg+/pg+ ml+/ml+ Cha+/Cha+ mh+/mh+ di+/di+ Ig+/Ig+ cb+/cb+ i+/i+ bl+/bl+ Lav+/Lav+ C+/C+ mo/mo b+- s+- Choc+-

Chris

I dont know if helps any but here is one for making mottled..

E -- extended black down. Black male and female with red/silver in hackles and saddle

s -- sex link gold Mine have sex link gold, but silver would work.

mi -- melanotic. This covers the normally red/silver areas of chickens black. Now we have a black bird.

mo -- Mottled recessive so 2 genes are required. This adds the black bar (not seen on a black bird) and white spot at the end of the feather. A mottled bird is built.

If we take the Black bird designed above add Bl --Blue we will have a blue bird.

If we take the same Black bird designed above and add lav-- lavender ( 2 genes required as it is recessive) we would have a self blue.

If we take again the same Black bird designed above and add c -- recessive white( again 2 genes required as it is recessive) we would have a white bird.

If we take the mottled bird "built" above and add Bl --blue we will have a blue mottled.

So for any known color/variety of chickens it starts on the down color for the foundation. Then by adding different genes to enhance or restrict the red and black of the down color, we end up with the variety that we have.

Chris

I also found this on the same site..
eWH/eWH Co/co+ db+/db+ pg+/pg+ ml+/ml+ Cha+/Cha+ mh+/mh+ di+/di+ Ig+/Ig+ cb+/cb+ i+/i+ bl+/bl+ Lav+/Lav+ C+/C+ mo/mo b+- s+- Choc+-

This would be Mille Fleur with but het for columbian.​

If we add one gene of Bl we will have a Blue Mille Fleur.

We've got some of these, but with mahogany, growing on in Orpington (blue jubilee). The best we've ever had this year.
big_smile.png

NOt sure if Amazon changed the photo or if it was becuase I did the folloowing on my confuser. Right click on the not-photo and select Properties. Copy the address and open it in another window or tab.

Sorry -- SmugMug and BYC don't seem to play well together.

Here's one of the "good" pullets --
LP12--07-25-09--1small.jpg

And here's one of the "not so good" pullets --

LP06--07-29-09--1small.jpg

Quote:
It's interesting to see all the different formulas. This one is incorrect, though, according to what I've read. I don't have the complete formula in front of me right now, but I've had a previous discussion about golden necks in d'Uccles -- and it seems that it actually requires a dominant white gene in there somewhere. With two copies of Bl on a mille fleur, what you get is a splash mille fleur -- which looks similar to golden neck, but not identical.

Back
Top Bottom