Making my fences high enough

LordEvan5

Songster
Oct 21, 2020
Quaker Hill Connecticut
I keep increasing my fence height. What I would like to know is this a fool's errands, will my boys and girls just be able to get over the fence regardless of it being 10 feet tall. Thank you for any input you have and have a good dau

I keep increasing my fence height. What I would like to know is this a fool's errands, will my boys and girls just be able to get over the fence regardless of it being 10 feet tall. Thank you for any input you have and have a good dau
Surely, plenty of my birds can get that high.. but most have no reason to.

My 4 foot fences contain my birds!!

If there is a roamer.. Monkey see, chicken do.. and there may be followers of the rule breaker... clip their wings.. one wing to start see how it works.. I had to do a close bilateral clip of BOTH wings to take the boost out.. clipping one wing only limits how far they can go in a straight line but not how high they can get. Stop the ring leader.. usually stops ti masses as well. :)

Also, what type of chickens are we talking about? Bantams, Easter Eggers, and some lighter breeds can make it quite high. While heavier breeds.. once mature.. not as much..

I wouldn't keep going higher without cause.. and at 10 feet.. I'd put a heavy duty netting (even chicken wire) over the top for containment.. as well as aerial protection. Are you having an actual issue or just worried about prevention?

How tall is your fence? What is it made of and how is it installed? What breeds do your have (light, flighty birds may either need wing clipping and/or a covered run(.

It's not so much about the height of the fence, but making in unattractive for chickens to go over. A rigid fence by itself is easy to fly up to, land on, and vault over. A rigid fence with a soft floppy top like deer or snow fencing is much harder to land on, so birds may not try it once they decide they don't like the lack of firm footing.

10 feet is plenty high enough! If they somehow manage to get up curve over the fence or put a strip of electrified fencing at the top, also, clip your girl's flight feathers

Our auxiliary run has a 5' high welded wire fence. In a couple years we have had maybe 3 escapes. In each case I had to go into the woods to rescue them as they were just not smart enough to figure out how to get back to safety. It is big enough that they really have no reason or desire to fly over it.
Now, we also had some hawk and other attacks. The 5' fence keeps them in (mostly), but the predators are not kept out.

**edit** meant to add a picture.

Attachments

• 20201024_165631.jpg
    20201024_165631.jpg
    849.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Our auxiliary run has a 5' high welded wire fence. In a couple years we have had maybe 3 escapes. In each case I had to go into the woods to rescue them as they were just not smart enough to figure out how to get back to safety. It is big enough that they really have no reason or desire to fly over it.
Now, we also had some hawk and other attacks. The 5' fence keeps them in (mostly), but the predators are not kept out.

**edit** meant to add a picture.
Here is what I'd do. Make it another foot or two higher and then bend over about a foots worth of wire at an angle facing outside the coop so a fox ect cant climb up. I'd also dig a trench right next to the fence a foot down and fill with rubble or put in sheets of metal/chicken wire. Lastly, if able, put a roof on the run and put strands of electric wire at the top and bottom of the fence. Perhaps make the welded wire 1 inch as well... If worried more install automatic floodlights.

Here is what I'd do. Make it another foot or two higher and then bend over about a foots worth of wire at an angle facing outside the coop so a fox ect cant climb up. I'd also dig a trench right next to the fence a foot down and fill with rubble or put in sheets of metal/chicken wire. Lastly, if able, put a roof on the run and put strands of electric wire at the top and bottom of the fence. Perhaps make the welded wire 1 inch as well... If worried more install automatic floodlights.
Also use a wooden skirt at the bottom of the fence. possibly concrete for fence posts. I'd clip their wings

Those are all great suggestions. If I got an influx of cash, I would tighten the security. Until then it is too big 20' x 50'. It is designed to keep the chicks corralled during the day. Hopefully losses will be minimal. I do appreciate the tips.

Those are all great suggestions. If I got an influx of cash, I would tighten the security. Until then it is too big 20' x 50'. It is designed to keep the chicks corralled during the day. Hopefully losses will be minimal. I do appreciate the tips.
Wow... 20 by 50 feet is massive! A cheaper soloution is electric fencing... put that on the inside of the fence so if the chicks get near it... ZAP.... it is reasonably cheap... I got about 210 feet and the transformer in the UK second hand for 60 pounds or about 90 dollars or so... not massively expensive. Look for second hand items.. it is the way to go!Also would you mind posting more images of the run?

Back
Top Bottom