Making new color in silkies what do you guys think :P

chicken crazed 1o1

Songster
8 Years
Mar 29, 2011
Dugald , Manitoba
I went on an old thread I think and a person said that if you cross a cockoo Cochin to a black silkie with a large beard and crest that with in 5 generations it will breed true and you will have a true cockoo Silkie and that the cochin has the same body shape as the Silke so i am going to try and cross a mollted cochin to a silkie what do you guys think ?

Last edited:
So you want to make mottled silkies? There are few out there, but maybe I am thinking of the paint silkies.

Whatever, I say GO FOR IT!!

thank you now i have a boost in my confadince
big_smile.png

Last edited:
We are working on Mottled Silkies. Here are some pics of some F1 chicks. I have to get new pictures as they are older now. Its going to be a long road with them but worth the try:)

101054_img_1406.jpg

101054_img_1400.jpg

101054_img_1395.jpg

Cuckoo and mottling are entirely separate genes. Both are already out there in silkie; more cuckoo than mottled, though. Mottled have been a very difficult project. Here's where I am right now:
20590_2011-03-01_17-40-17_726.jpg

It has taken years to this point.

I was thinking the same thing
smile.png

I am still looking for a mottled cochin though. Would it be best to use a rooster or hen in the cochin? I was thinking roo but not sure.

a roo can cover more hens and you will get a larger number of chicks with all those hens vs the other way when you only have one hen laying eggs. also if you don't like you are seeing, easier to change out the roo.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom