MAKING $ ON EGGS LIKE CRAZY WOMAN! most you've gotten for a dozen eggs

kjpuggles3

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 24, 2011
So as you may know, im getting some chickens to help support my small family farm and want to know how much I can make per dozen eggs in massachusetts and how i can go about finding buyers? do i ask friends or go to farm stands oor what? thanks! Ps- feel free to post your past stories and the most you've sold for a doz.
ya.gif

Our local CSA charges $4 per dozen of organic, free range eggs

And a friend who sells free range has a sign on the road in front of her home. She also has good word of mouth advertising from folks who buy her eggs.

Last edited:
I once sold a dozen eggs for $10. Had two people here at once who each wanted a dozen, weren't willing to take a half dozen, and I just stood by while they bid each other up till one of them dropped out.

Normally I charge $3.60, ten cents less if the customer provides the carton.

I typically get around $4 per dozen, but I also have some beautiful and colorful eggs. I once got... you better sit down for this... $16 for a dozen eggs. They were 11 duck eggs (which I have created a market for in my area) and 1 perfect goose egg. At the right time of year (Easter) I can get whatever I want for goose eggs. It's crazy!

I used to have a hard time moving duck eggs, but I love having ducks around, so I decided I needed to create a market for them. Irony of ironies- I love poultry but hate eating eggs. I just don't like them. I got a bad egg like 30 years ago and have never been able to stand them since. I eat them only rarely, so I have a lot of eggs I need to find homes for.

I started searching out specialty bakeries (nothing beats duck eggs in baking), then moved on to Asian food markets (big demand for duck eggs in Oriental cuisine), and then to health food stores. I printed out write-ups of nutritional info on duck eggs, and just kept pushing my product. I now can't keep up with my demand. I need to expand my duck flock next year to keep up with the demand I have created. (Get more ducks? Oh, twist my arm...)

The key to success in any endeavor is persistence. Find a niche that you can fill, and just keep at it.

Good luck.

I built my egg business by word of mouth. Start with your family, give them the first dozen and they are hooked. They tell friends, and so on and so on. I just doubled my flock, and still only had 4 eggs when I wanted bacon and eggs on Sunday morning. My dh can eat a half dozen by himself, so we don't have them as often as you might think. He is hard on the profits.
lol.png

$2.00 to $2.50 here in Kentucky. Be aware that some states have heavy regulations on selling eggs at flea markets,roadside stands or other "off-farm" locations. Some states require liscenses,inspections,permits,etc. Be sure to check your state and local regulations before you start selling.

Most of us here on BYC sell to friends,neighbors and co-workers to avoid government regulations and hassles. Also be aware it's very rare that you can make money selling eggs. At best you may pay your expenses,most of us rarely do that well.

Back
Top Bottom