MAKING $ ON EGGS LIKE CRAZY WOMAN! most you've gotten for a dozen eggs

Quote:
th.gif

lau.gif

$2.00 a dozen is the norm here. Some flea markets (if you have the permits) get $4-5 doz. That permit is next on my list of things to get, in the spring.

I feed mine organic feed and sell a dozen for $2.00 to my co-workers. (I work in the Raleigh/Durham area.) When they heard I was raising chickens for eggs, they started putting their names on my list...and that was BEFORE I even had any chicks!
big_smile.png
Most of my customers pay upwards of $5.00 a dozen for organic eggs so I have no trouble selling what I have. Also, they give me all their egg cartons so I don't have to buy any. Mainly, I sell them for two reasons: 1) Four people can't eat 16 eggs a day (at peak production), and 2) it helps pay for their feed.
smile.png

I had a gal at work begrudedly give me a dollar for a dozen. Later I heard her talking to someone wondering why I sell my eggs that I get for free from my chickens....

I have BCMs and save all the really dark eggs to sell together. Most I ever got for a dozen was $20, every egg was 7 or darker on the color scale. My girls rock.

I greatly admire your desire to help your family on the farm. Yes, you can make some money in the egg business, but there are realities to face. I posted this on your other thread. I'll just re-post it here.

You CAN make a bit on eggs. 1st, you'll have to have the space to hold 100 birds or more. You'll likely have to buy a commercial strain. Most of the Red Sex Links, with the ISA in particular, are commercial strains and will lay like nobodies business their pullet year. Their feed to egg conversion is top drawer. Just because the brown egg industry keeps these birds doesn't mean we shouldn't. They are friendly to a fault. Nice birds, really. Leghorn is a top white egglayer of course.

You will have to have a source for premium feed and that source will have to charge about half of what you pay by buying fancy, name brand feed from a TSC or similar convenience rural living store. If you have to pay $15 for a 50 lb bag of feed, you're behind before you start economically. A good, local, old fashioned feed/grain mill can sell you superior feed for $10 a 50#, if you know where these places are. You'll have to get in the know.

If you push your sharpened pencil, you might make $1 or $2 a dozen. That is after feed, electricity, bedding and doing all the chicken chores for nothing. But, remember also, you have the initial cost of the chicks ($2-$3) to pay off and all the electricity and bulbs for brooding, and all the feed they ate during the first 18 weeks before they ever lay you an egg. Still, after laying for 5 months, it is possible to hit the "break even" point. This is why you need so many birds. Because even at a $1.25 per dozen profit, there's no realized or meaningful profit if you are only selling eight dozen a week from 16 hens. $10 "profit"? You'd make much more working part time at Mickey D's.

Mac in Wisco is an occasional contributor here. Check out some of his posts. https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2328-wisconsin-layer-barn see his 2000+ hen operation. Yes, it is profitable. I believe he sells through a Co-op. Regardless, the final piece of the puzzle for profit is the selling at a GREAT price, something akin to $3.00 to $4.00 a dozen. You really need that $1 to $2 profit margin and you only get that through having great customers who value your product.

Quote:
Yeah, everyone knows that eggs are free if you own chickens, right!! I don't think so...some folks just amaze me. I get $2.50 - $3.00 a dozen and figure I just about break even.

Back
Top Bottom