Making sash windows in my chicken coop predator proof

Chuska

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 9, 2011
I have six sash windows and one crank window in my chicken coop. We have the usual predators (raccoons, coyotes, foxes) but the worst ones are the fisher cats. All the windows have 'house screens" in them and I know these screens would not stop a determined predator. My problem is I need access to the sash windows to open and close them for proper ventilation and at the same time I want to keep the house screens in the sash windows to keep out yellow jackets and other inset pests. I can't cover the windows inside with hardware cloth since I would not have access to the sash windows to open and close and at the same time I would prefer not to put hardware cloth on the outside of the windows due to aesthetics. I was thinking of finding a firm (not rolled) type of metal fence material with appropriate size openings that I could cut to size, hinge on the top, hinge up when I needed to open or close the sashes, and secure when closed at the bottom. Does anyone have a suggestion for the type of material with the following characteristics: not rolled, firm enough to open up and down when hinged at the top, suitable size openings, tough enough to stop a predator, able to cut to size?

How about building a wooden frame and cover it with wire, hinge it at the top and hang it over the entire window on the inside with a latch. You could then be secure, but simply release the latch and lift the guard to access the window.

Another possibility, attractive but expensive is build to wrought iron outside window guards like houses have but with closer bars

That all I can come with to suggest, running hardware cloth with the screen in the built in grooves would be very difficult and not solid enough to be secure

Easy peasy. Frame made from 2x2's, hinged *this one hinged on left*, latched on the inside at top and bottom *right side, swings open to the left*, opens for cleaning. Works great. Never leave regular window screens on--they hold way too much dust and keep no predators out, nor do they keep chickens in if they fly into the windows.

DSCN1532.jpg

Another way:
These two windows in this pic just have hardware cloth screwed onto the outside of the framework with big flat metal washers behind the screws. To clean the outside of the windows, just close the windows and spray with the hose. One of them is an inner tilt, so that makes it even easier.

DCP_4920.jpg

Here's another one, used to be hinged at the top with locks at the bottom, like in this pic. Later, we put the hinges on the bottom so it opens from the top and made it easier to clean, but you get the idea. Also, keeps the birds from accidentally flying into and breaking the window.

DCP_5869.jpg

I have a Horizon Structures Coop and they put 1 X 2" heavy wire fence mesh over the long vent and the two metal sash windows. I can open and close the windows from outside cause I can get my fingers through to the two inside latches on each window to raise and lower to the latching notches. I but a small rock on the sill so it does not lock into the lowest notch, so I don't have to go into the coop to open them. I removed the insect screens as they are a waste. They will just plug with dirt, and any bugs that want in will just come in the pop-hole that is open during the day. I will spray if yellow jackets build up high, the chickens will eat the other bugs.

Back
Top Bottom