Making separation cages? Need help!

Aframechickens191

Chirping
9 Years
May 23, 2010
NW Ohio
I want to separate a good number of my flock into individual cages so they can continue to regrow new feathers (see previous post about no feathers after molt) but i only have 2 old rabbit cages (the small, 2'x2' ones) to put them in for now. i dont like how they dont have much room and new rabbit cages like that can cost a lot to buy new from TS or wherever. i do have a considerable amount of chicken wire left over from when we built the coop, but I need to know how to make a frame that i can attach the wire to so it will keep the coons out at night. i plan to put the cages in the shade out of the kind suggestion from a fellow BYCer that keeping them in the shade will help with feather growth
wink.png

dad owns a welding shop...should i do frames out of square tubing and just attach the wire to that? im confused please help!
thanks
smile.png

I don't think you can build anything out of chicken wire that will keep dogs, coyotes, raccoons or others out. They can rip the wire apart. It is just not heavy enough gauge. I'd suggest looking on Craig's list for material you can use, such as heavier wire or maybe that plastic lattice.

use rabbit wire (hardware cloth)
even if "dad" gives you a discount, metal tubing is expensive.
He has to by it from the supplier and it costs what it costs.

IF you can afford it, it will do a great job

We have brooders that you can lock at night. They are like a chicken tractor. Framed out of 2x4s and 2x2s. We put plywood atop the one as a roof. box is 2ftx4ft. The lid on the box has 2 nails for hinges.
12362_moo_moo_006.jpg

Back
Top Bottom