Making silked EE?

Cwillenburg

Songster
Aug 19, 2020
I found some silked easter eggers on my pet chicken and ordered 3 despite the price. Well, two didn't make it so I'm left with one. Because of the price I do not plan to order anymore, but was wondering what it would take to breed my own. I have 1 silkie hen, the silked ee hen (only 4wks old) and multiple blue egg layers. I was thinking i could get a silkie roo. From my understanding, it would take two or three generations to get my first silked baby correct? I am not good at genetics at all.

I found some silked easter eggers on my pet chicken and ordered 3 despite the price. Well, two didn't make it so I'm left with one. Because of the price I do not plan to order anymore, but was wondering what it would take to breed my own. I have 1 silkie hen, the silked ee hen (only 4wks old) and multiple blue egg layers. I was thinking i could get a silkie roo. From my understanding, it would take two or three generations to get my first silked baby correct? I am not good at genetics at all.
Do you just want a silkied chicken that lays blue/green eggs? Are there any other traits that would be important to you?

The silkied gene is recessive and the blue egg shell gene (which also causes green/olive eggs) is dominant. If your silkied EE has the blue egg shell gene, crossing her to a silkie rooster will get you 100% silkied offspring, with either a 50% or 100% chance of laying blue or green eggs.

Do you just want a silkied chicken that lays blue/green eggs? Are there any other traits that would be important to you?

The silkied gene is recessive and the blue egg shell gene (which also causes green/olive eggs) is dominant. If your silkied EE has the blue egg shell gene, crossing her to a silkie rooster will get you 100% silkied offspring, with either a 50% or 100% chance of laying blue or green eggs.
That's all i want. Thank you, much simpler than i was trying to make it 😄

@LadiesAndJane
@RoostersAreAwesome
@RoosterWhisperer
@Overo Mare
@FuzzyOwlFeet
@Eggcessive
@berryncherry

I have 0 experience with genetics or breeding, so I’m no help, but maybe one of these very helpful people can help. I hope to get into breeding next year, but as of now I don’t know much about it.
Looks like you got your question answered! 😊

Back
Top Bottom