Making soap?

LoL yay! As soon as I read that I pulled out the Nesco. =) Not sure why I didn't think of it sooner. My Nesco was also "sacrificed" (like my stove) due to a mouse infestation - they were making little nests under the pan. So I gave it a scrub a quick dub dub to remove the dust and hopefully it will work.

it ought to do fine! I am going to have to try this myself soon. I make the oven method soap usually but my oven is nuts. I am thinking of trying that roaster in the next few days. :D

Phew. Now to wait.

Another quick ?. How do you know when you've come in contact with the lye? I'm almost out of vinegar because I've been using it so judiciously, and my fingers are burning around the cuticle. I can't tell if it's the acid from the vinegar rinsing or some lye contact.

Its probably lye. It takes very little vinegar to stop the burn. You might want to learn how to make vinegar. :D It is surprisingly expensive or so it seems to me. I ought to try it too.

Its probably lye. It takes very little vinegar to stop the burn. You might want to learn how to make vinegar. :D It is surprisingly expensive or so it seems to me. I ought to try it too.
Make vinegar?!?! Must. Go. Google!

I really need to stay off these forums and similar sites.
barnie.gif

Oh boy.

So, I don't have an immersion blender. And neither do either of stores in town. I researched and found several people reporting that hand-held mixers worked just as well.

As I was mixing it, I noticed it was very dry/cakey. Checked a little cheat sheet I had that said in those instances add more liquid. Did that.

It started to suds. :-/ OK, power through it.

Now, it resembles a whipped cake batter. Is there any hope left? (On the bright side, I got a bunch on my gloves and washed it off, it produces a lovely little lather, not as pronounced as commercial soaps but just a bit of suds).

I know soap making is the new thing, but I'm not entirely content to do it using purchased ingredients. We're learning how to make lye this summer. I'm putting in a large patch of sunflowers so we can attempt sunflower seed oil.

First we need to figure out how to make the soap itself, though.

I want to make it in a crock pot (small, 1 quart, it was free and I don't care if it gets ruined). I'm also going to be using lard. I've found a bunch of recipes online but they're all for larger batches and seem to expect you to "know" what you need. [More than] A few questions for any soap makers who are inclined to answer!

1. The local hardware store has 100% lye drain cleaner. I've read and been told this is the right stuff. Are the measurements the same?
  2. What equipment do I need? I often see recipes say to use a submersible blender. $$$! Would a stainless steel whisk get the job done?
  3. How long am I dedicating to this project? My daughter gets home from school at 3PM. Would we have enough time between then and lights out at 8PM?
  4. When they say "rubber gloves" do they mean the thick yellow gloves, or any gloves? I usually use the clear, powdered gloves for cleaning because I can buy them 500 at a time for cheap. Good 'nuff, not good 'nuff?
  5. When is it done?? The recipe I'm using says to put it to the side of your tongue. Really? Is that my option?
  6. I'm using lard (I have a ton of it). Is it going to smell like bacon-y lavendar?
  7. What do you use for a mold? Does it matter? I was planning on using a cutesy baking pan that ironically never works for baking.
  8. "Essential oils"? The bulk foods store in town sells food grade oils - essential, not baking. Same thing?
  9. Any tips that a newbie might need? Any extra utensils? I've got a crock pot, a stainless steel whisk (if that will work), a stainless steel ladle, that mold. I use the whisk and ladle for food, although I could designate them soap only.
  10. If the crock pot is a bad way to start, my only other option is an electric burner (stove's deceased). Could I use that with a double boiler? It's the like the Granite Ware canning pot, which is "stainless steel core".

Sorry if these questions seem stupid. I'm really just trying to quadruple-check my bases since my kids (10 and under) will be helping.

I'm going to hit your questions in a second. First off, I have been helping my grandmother make soap for close to 20 years. I would start with the simplest recipe and once you have that down pat you can branch off. This is a blog post I did a while back that has our simplest family recipe: http://unlabeledmama.blogspot.com/2010/10/making-soap.html

1. As long as it is Sodium Hydroxide and not Potasium Hydroxide you are fine. You also want to make sure it's not the kind with metal fragments in it.

2. Need? A large glass bowl, wooden spoon and something to melt your fat in. Also something to pour the soap in as a mold. That's it!

3. Oh yes! I can make a batch of soap in about 30-45 minutes (maybe a little longer if it is warm, then it takes longer for the lye to cool.)

4. Any gloves!

5. Seriously? Put it on your tongue? That's crazy! When you are stirring it should be the consistency of pudding. It need to be in the molds 24 hours before you put them out and cut them and then sit for 2 weeks while the lye leaches out.

6. As long as it's rendered you will be fine.

7. Just not metal. I use silverware organizers (pics in blog).

8. Any essential oils!

9. Not metal! You want to use glass or wood. Plastic is okay as well, but the lye will ruin it eventually.

10. I melt my fats in the microwave or on the stove. It doesn't matter!

I started helping my grandmother at about 12 years old. As long as your daughter is careful she should be fine!

Oh boy.

So, I don't have an immersion blender. And neither do either of stores in town. I researched and found several people reporting that hand-held mixers worked just as well.

As I was mixing it, I noticed it was very dry/cakey. Checked a little cheat sheet I had that said in those instances add more liquid. Did that.

It started to suds. :-/ OK, power through it.

Now, it resembles a whipped cake batter. Is there any hope left? (On the bright side, I got a bunch on my gloves and washed it off, it produces a lovely little lather, not as pronounced as commercial soaps but just a bit of suds).

Throw it in some molds and you will know in 2 weeks!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom