Making the most of it.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by lindalouly, Aug 4, 2015.

1. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    I hadn't considered using EO in it. But, I have some lemon, and some peppermint! Thanks. How many drops of EO did you use for that batch? I think I'll end up using the 5 gal. recipe.

2. lindalouly

lindalouly Grd Ctrl 2 Major Tom

The reason I tried this recipe is after reading the many reviews online a lot of people said the the recipes that use the whole bar tend to eat away at the clothes. Essence oil doesn't matter. It doesn't penetrate the clothes cause you are putting it in oil eating wash

3. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Did it. My cooking pots are super clean right now. I divided it into 3 batches, and used the smart stick for the mixing. Had to do it outside b/c it was too hard on my breathing.

4. lindalouly

Ohhhhh that doesn't sound right.... The recipe I made had barely a smell.

5. lindalouly

Did you do 1/3 bar of soap. 1/2 cup of baking wash and borax????

6. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Nope. I used the standard formula: 1 bar, 1 C. Washing soda, and 1 C Borax. Enough water to fill a kitty litter bucket to within 2" of the top. I think I'll dilute it down a bit more when I put it in my pump jugs. I have reactive airway disease, so the slightest smells set me off.

7. lindalouly

I have lpr with a hernia so they bother me too. That is horrible. Hope everything works out.

8. lindalouly

One bar of soap should equal 7.5 gallons of water. Hope this helps.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How many gallons is that?

10. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    I didn't measure, but I'm guessing it's about 4.5 gallons. Now, you've got me wondering. I'll have to measure one of those buckets. It's a rectangular yellow Tidy Cat litter bucket. I could fill one and dump it into a 5 gal. bucket. then, it would be easy to measure the volume using a yard stick. So, worse case scenario, I'd have to dilute it down when i put it into my pump bottles. I tried some of this recipe from a friend, and found that 2 oz. did a great job in my front load washer. So this stuff should last at least a year!

I have very hard water, and find that my dish washer is very finicky, and dishes often don't get clean, even with pre rinse. I've started adding a few drops of hand washing dish liquid to the DW gel, and find that it makes ALL the difference in the world! Such a simple little thing! Next up: find a good recipe for DW gel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by