Malay Chat Thread

Here's my newest pullets.
20210716_144924.jpg
These are from a breeder here in Michigan.

Excuse me if this the wrong Forum.

Hello, those who raise Malays, I'm new to it. I'm interested in helping preserve this stunning Giant Bird.

I understand that their genetic diversity is quite slim, & there's risk of abit of harmful genetics that maybe present.

I would like to hear from you others out there working on helping the population expand here in the US, & your experiences.

Have you needed to do any crossing, & back crossing to generate better genetic diversity in your flocks?

How did the crossing go if you had to do it?

If you didn't need to cross, where did you get new bloodlines?

I know some people might cringe at the thought of having to mix something else to an Old World Breed, but you gotta do, what you gotta do to keep genes strong.
Birds and reptiles don't have the same reaction to inbreeding as mammals do they can inbreed and linebreed for far longer. I think doing so could improve the size and confirmation of your birds. How many of their eggs do you hatch out in a year and of those what percent do you cull/breed

Birds and reptiles don't have the same reaction to inbreeding as mammals do they can inbreed and linebreed for far longer. I think doing so could improve the size and confirmation of your birds. How many of their eggs do you hatch out in a year and of those what percent do you cull/breed
Severe inbreeding in chickens, many generations without new blood being added can cause immune suppression, early chick deaths, deformities, cardiac problems, & an overall shorter life span. Dorkings are a good example.

Many Malay genepools are becoming too restricted in the US.

Severe inbreeding in chickens, many generations without new blood being added can cause immune suppression, early chick deaths, deformities, cardiac problems, & an overall shorter life span. Dorkings are a good example.

Many Malay genepools are becoming too restricted in the US.
If you inbreed purely forultiple generations. Crossing however without a good breeding program and heavy selection would have the birds inherit those defects from both strains

If you inbreed purely forultiple generations. Crossing however without a good breeding program and heavy selection would have the birds inherit those defects from both strains
What I meant is inbreeding with a limited genepool, & not replenishing the genepool with new blood, can result in issues, such as those I listed.

It's hard to find, both Malays, & Dorkings in the US, that aren't closely related.

What I meant is inbreeding with a limited genepool, & not replenishing the genepool with new blood, can result in issues, such as those I listed.

It's hard to find, both Malays, & Dorkings in the US, that aren't closely related.
What you have to do is create multiple lines in one family and cull sick birds and lack of vigor. Adding new blood all the time destroys improvements and consistency in a strain

What you have to do is create multiple lines in one family and cull sick birds and lack of vigor. Adding new blood all the time destroys improvements and consistency in a strain
I didn't say adding new blood all the time. Only when problems arise.

Me, I currently ran into an issue with my full Sibling breeding with my project Wheaten Crele Orpingtons. A chick died unexpectedly in shell, & looked healthy, but clearly wasn't healthy genetically.
Recently added more pure Buff Orpingtons to purify my Orpington bloodline, & strengthen genetic diversity, & to help keep the correct body shape, fluffiness, & skin color.

So it is necessary to add new blood after a certain amount of inbreeding. Especially full sibling breedings, or breeding the son of a full sibling breeding back to his mother.

I didn't say adding new blood all the time. Only when problems arise.

Me, I currently ran into an issue with my full Sibling breeding with my project Wheaten Crele Orpingtons. A chick died unexpectedly in shell, & looked healthy, but clearly wasn't healthy genetically.
Recently added more pure Buff Orpingtons to purify my Orpington bloodline, & strengthen genetic diversity, & to help keep the correct body shape, fluffiness, & skin color.

So it is necessary to add new blood after a certain amount of inbreeding. Especially full sibling breedings, or breeding the son of a full sibling breeding back to his mother.
If you are breeding through an improvement program it's better to introduce diversity or improve traits through a subline and then to maintain both genetic diversity and the improvements keep 3 to 4 families in a maintainence program for clan mating. Once you establish a family and maintain a sufficient population it should be able to propagate itself continuously without adding new blood. U have a large variety of birds so keeping detailed records and enough space to do this might be difficult

Back
Top Bottom