Malay Chat Thread

Pics

Severe inbreeding in chickens, many generations without new blood being added can cause immune suppression, early chick deaths, deformities, cardiac problems, & an overall shorter life span. Dorkings are a good example.

Many Malay genepools are becoming too restricted in the US.
I agree with these points. My experiences with breeding both aseel and Liege is that when groups are highly inbred, one has to sort through several poor chicks to have one healthy and vigorous chick. Yes, you can keep inbreeding them and selecting for the healthiest individuals and that can help keep the lines “pure.” But I value vigor over a man-made notion of purity.

I agree with these points. My experiences with breeding both aseel and Liege is that when groups are highly inbred, one has to sort through several poor chicks to have one healthy and vigorous chick. Yes, you can keep inbreeding them and selecting for the healthiest individuals and that can help keep the lines “pure.” But I value vigor over a man-made notion of purity.
The problem isnt inbreeding its excessive inbreeding, inbreeding is a tool for building consistency in a strain but its not a whole program. Its better to create a set of lines within a family to maintain a balance of both consistency and diversity the problem is people dont want to specialize in a breed they want a little bit of everything so breeds end up going backwards without good programs and proper selection.

The problem isnt inbreeding its excessive inbreeding, inbreeding is a tool for building consistency in a strain but its not a whole program. Its better to create a set of lines within a family to maintain a balance of both consistency and diversity the problem is people dont want to specialize in a breed they want a little bit of everything so breeds end up going backwards without good programs and proper selection.
I don’t disagree with that statement. It is “excessive” inbreeding that I’m referring too. Many, many, years of constant inbreeding. Maybe even for centuries.

Most recently with concerning my experience with my aseel my adult pair were healthy that I hatched and grew from eggs. Yet their siblings came out with various beak and structural deformities. When I bred the healthy pair together, a percentage of their chicks came out with the same deformities while a few were healthy and vigorous like their parents. Seems like it takes about 4 chicks to make 1-2 good ones on that line. No telling how long its been since they’ve been outcrossed. Where I’ve crossed them to Liege I’m curious to see how those come out and how well their offspring do.

I don’t disagree with that statement. It is “excessive” inbreeding that I’m referring too. Many, many, years of constant inbreeding. Maybe even for centuries.

Most recently with concerning my experience with my aseel my adult pair were healthy that I hatched and grew from eggs. Yet their siblings came out with various beak and structural deformities. When I bred the healthy pair together, a percentage of their chicks came out with the same deformities while a few were healthy and vigorous like their parents. Seems like it takes about 4 chicks to make 1-2 good ones on that line. No telling how long its been since they’ve been outcrossed. Where I’ve crossed them to Liege I’m curious to see how those come out and how well their offspring do.
How many liege fighters do you raise?

Back
Top Bottom