Male and female ducks separated...fertility?

Raine530

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 6, 2012
West Fork, Arkansas
I have a flock of 14 Ancona ducks, (2 drakes and 12 ducks). Occasionally I separate the males from the females for 2 or 3 weeks because the males are just too rough on the females and a few will get beat up pretty badly with bloody heads from mating. My question is two-fold:
1. How long after separating are the eggs still fertile?
2. And how long do the males have to be reunited with the females before the eggs are fertile again?
Thank you!!!

The eggs will still be fertile for two weeks and sometimes a little longer.

The eggs will be fertile 24 hours or so after they are back together. It would depend on the stage of egg formation in the females body when the first breeding occurred.

My question is if male and female ducks can eat the same feed as adults. I know there is special laying feed. Can the males eat that? Do the females need that? Because I don't see how I'm going to be able to separate my ducks due to the fact they will be released to the pond and be free in the pond and yard once they can fly. Right now they are in a pen and getting flock raiser crumbles. But I'm just trying to prepare for the future. Because I will put food out for them everyday still once they are released from the pen. But I know they won't let me catch them to feed them separate, so what should I feed them at that point? Both and they will know what to choose? Or what's ok for both? I have one male and 3 females.

My question is if male and female ducks can eat the same feed as adults. I know there is special laying feed. Can the males eat that? Do the females need that? Because I don't see how I'm going to be able to separate my ducks due to the fact they will be released to the pond and be free in the pond and yard once they can fly. Right now they are in a pen and getting flock raiser crumbles. But I'm just trying to prepare for the future. Because I will put food out for them everyday still once they are released from the pen. But I know they won't let me catch them to feed them separate, so what should I feed them at that point? Both and they will know what to choose? Or what's ok for both? I have one male and 3 females.
I would do an All Purpose Feed like Flock Raiser and offer oyster shells on the side for laying ducks to get the additional calcium.

I personally feed all of mine layer. It can be hard on drakes but I found mine did well on it. I always offer oyster shell on the side. TSC has crushed oyster shell along with most feed stores. Also you do realize that almost all domestic ducks cannot fly? Are you planning on locking up your ducks at night once you allow them on the pond? Ducks need protection from predators even if they are on water. Coons and other animals will swim out to eat them

Last edited:
I personally feed all of mine layer. It can be hard on drakes but I found mine did well on it. I always offer oyster shell on the side. TSC has crushed oyster shell along with most feed stores. Also you do realize that almost all domestic ducks cannot fly? Are you planning on locking up your ducks at night once you allow them on the pond? Ducks need protection from predators even if they are on water. Coons and other animals will swim out to eat them

Well mine are mallards and my understanding was that mallards fly. I mean, I could lock them up at night but I figured they wouldn't let me catch them to put them in the pen.
And thank you for the info.

Back
Top Bottom