Male crowing

Quailnewbiee

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2022
My male quail has been pretty quiet for most of the summer, now he won’t stop crowing!! I know he has bonded with one female. So I never separate them. If he is in the garage, he only does his early morning crow. However all day he cries outside. We do have some morning doves and other birds the are in our yard. Is he defending his hen? 🤷🏻‍♀️ I am debating about an accident happening to him, but what will happen to the hen he has bonded with? She screams for him if they are separated. I have 9 quail all together 2 boys, 7 girls. I originally thought it was the other Roo he was crowing at, but I separated them and gave the crowing quail 4 hens (his favorite ones) and the other Roo his 3 he bonded with. My kids, especially my teenager will be angry if anything happens to the roo. So I’m trying to solve the problem. Any suggestions, opinions or advice appreciated! Thanks

P.S. they are celadon coturnix quail, I’m not sure if different breeds make a difference.

PPS. Can I keep him and the one he is bonded with by themselves? I heard they need 3/4 females each male, but if I can only keep them two together life would be easier!

You can try pairing him off, but he may overbreed his favourite.

Reducing his light will reduce his crowing, but you may want to look for things that might be making him unhappy. Happy boys don't crow much.

Things that might be factors:
Not enough space
Not enough hiding places
Predator hanging around
Feed he doesn't like

You can try pairing him off, but he may overbreed his favourite.

Reducing his light will reduce his crowing, but you may want to look for things that might be making him unhappy. Happy boys don't crow much.

Things that might be factors:
Not enough space
Not enough hiding places
Predator hanging around
Feed he doesn't like
Something about him yelling because he doesn't like his food is hilarious to me :gig Must be my spirit animal!

Back
Top Bottom