Male duck odd behavior

Momma_duck

Chirping
Apr 25, 2020
So I have a particular male peckan duck we named Jon wic. We had 20 in total, we lost two males (they had a fight to the death for a female). My neighbor dog jumped over my duck fence (10 feet) ate 6 of them. We sold some and he's left. We kept him due to his....outstanding personally. šŸ¤£šŸ¤¦. Well he's going to be 6 months soon and with it getting cold outside my peacocks don't seem to mind him at all. But he seems to be....extra fussy at my male peacock. So we brought john wick in the house. He has disposal cloth diapers he wears. (Yes he's spoiled) he takes showers by his self. (I cut on the shower and he walks right in (we have a walk in shower). For the past 4 days he's been a little extra. For some reason my female pit bull dog is terrified of him! šŸ¤£. If he walks past her if she's dead in her sleep she wakes up start screeching loud! And runs the opposite direction of my duck. šŸ¤¦ My other pit bull who is a male he's 100 pounds he walks up to johnwic and licks him and he cuddles up to my duck. But for some reason my female pit is so terrified of him. John wick will nibble on the kittens, and the dogs but he does it to her she screams and runs away. šŸ¤¦šŸ¤£. Is there anyway I can help him not do that to her? Why does he do that behavior in the first place? If I sit on my bed and my toes are dangling off the side he will walk past them and just start to nibble on my toes out of no we're. I'm sorry for long post.

Sounds to me like John Wick is lonely and needs a Drake OR some hens to keep him entertained. Meaning it's never good to only have one duck by itself, ducks are social and need a companion duck.

You may think it is funny that your female Pit is terrified of John Wick now, how funny will it be when she bites him and hurts him? Your putting him in a bad situation to possibly get hurt and don't think it won't and can't happen, do a search for people needing help because their dog bit their duck.

Scared and terrified animals will run first if they can, what happens when your Drake has your Pit backed in a corner and she has no place to run? Sorry just trying to shine a little light onto a potentially bad situation before it turns really bad. You already loss six ducks to your neighbors dog, not?

Best of luck.

Sounds to me like John Wick is lonely and needs a Drake OR some hens to keep him entertained. Meaning it's never good to only have one duck by itself, ducks are social and need a companion duck.

You may think it is funny that your female Pit is terrified of John Wick now, how funny will it be when she bites him and hurts him? Your putting him in a bad situation to possibly get hurt and don't think it won't and can't happen, do a search for people needing help because their dog bit their duck.

Scared and terrified animals will run first if they can, what happens when your Drake has your Pit backed in a corner and she has no place to run? Sorry just trying to shine a little light onto a potentially bad situation before it turns really bad. You already loss six ducks to your neighbors dog, not?

Best of luck.
I'm not trying to be rube, but just because she is a pitbull does not mean she will kill him. She is terrified of him. I have other pitbulls (my male gives act

You may think it is funny that your female Pit is terrified of John Wick now, how funny will it be when she bites him and hurts him? Your putting him in a bad situation to possibly get hurt and don't think it won't and can't happen, do a search for people needing help because their dog bit their butt I have no probs getting him a female. I was wondering what should I do until I do get him a female.

Best of luck.

Best of luck.

I'm not trying to be rube, but just because she is a pitbull does not mean she will kill him. She is terrified of him. I have other pitbulls (my male gives act

I think you missed the point a bit. It doesn't matter the dogs breed one bit in your situation. If cornered the fight or flight response gets triggered. She is already having strong negative reactions to his presence. It only takes once for her to be pushed past her tolerance and funny turns to tragic rapidly.

He needs duck friends as they are flock animals and he needs to be where he is not freaking the dog out.

Last edited:
Ducks need duck friends period. No other factors really matter they are very social animals and they need a flock of friends that speak the same language as them.
Also yeah they didn't say that because she is a pit bull my family has always had pit bulls they are sweethearts. It is actually more of a concern because she is scared. If she is scared of him then she could attack out of fear. Especially if he got a little bit cocky and started chasing her around thinking its a fun game.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom