male ducks and roosters together in the same pin?

Maddy7400

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 24, 2014
I have a chicken pin and out of the chickens from this year I ended up with 3 roosters.someone os currently looking at 2 of them I want to keep one. Im getting ducks wich are 3 males and 1 female they have been together since day one. If I put my ducks in the same pin with my chickens will the male ducks and roosters fight? Ive had ducks before when I only had 1 rooster and it was one male one female nothing happened. I just wanted to know if my roosters and male ducks will fight over the cemale duck or not.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I have no idea. Kelsie X2 You will want to post this in our Ducks section to talk to those Duck experts.

Good luck and welcome to our flock!

Yes, ask the duck people - meanwhile I'm wondering if you have 3 roosters and no hens. If the roosters have enough hens I think they will mind their own business. And if the duck is happy with his mate(s) likewise.

Roosters can handle 10 hens, so if you keep more than 1 you really need to greatly increase the no. of chicken hens/

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about ducks (although I've had a few), but I have to admit that ducklings are the ultimate in cute. Definitely post this on the duck link that Kelsie2290 left you with and take advantage of our duck experts there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Hello. I'm a new member too. I can't speak for all ducks and all roosters but I can tell you about my experience. I actually have a rooster, 2 hens and a duck that I kept somewhat together for a while. I kept the rooster, Pete, separate from the hens and the duck, Herbie, however, when I free ranged them everyone was together and the rooster and the duck seemed to do well together. They didn't have any issues UNTIL Herbie's hormones kicked in. The rooster did not like sharing his females and the duck and rooster would fight. Eventually I found some females for my duck and now everyone is happy. I actually kind of rescued Herbie. A friend of mine had him and another as very young ducks with her chickens and one of her roosters actually killed one and hurt Herbie. I nursed him back to health.

Anyway that's my experience. Also you may want to research the number of male ducks to females. May be too many males for 1 female. Food for thought.

Good luck! I've enjoyed owning both chickens and ducks.

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Hi there. I have a coop & pen with a veteran rooster, 3 hens, 5 pullets, and one female and one male duck. Everyone lived happily together until this morning. When I went out to the coop to feed, water, and clean, I found a blood everywhere and the male duck and rooster going at it like crazy. Tried to separate them to see if it was a one-off fight, but the duck kept going after the rooster. Not sure what happened, but the duck is quite wounded. The rooster seems fine, but I'm going to take another close look at him as soon as I can get my hands on him tonight.
Sadly, it didn't work out for us.

Back
Top Bottom