male/female?

EmuMom

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2018
California
I have 3 yearlings that have not been DNA tested yet... tests have been ordered. Anyone who has mature adults, have you noticed any trends with their tail size? I have 2 with short sparse tails and one with a long full tail. Does that mean anything? Or am I grasping at straws? lol
See pictures below...

full long tail
fanny.jpg

thin sparse tail
ford.jpg

Attachments

• fanny.jpg
    fanny.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 2
Never heard anyone suggest that toosh feathers help differentiate sex. What I can tell you is:

if you get to observe a range of emus (in the wild), you'll see a surprising difference in their toosh feathers

And as yearlings -- it's one of the reasons I especially like them at this age -- they do sometimes look rather out of proportion, certainly some have oversized toosh feathers.

I went to photograph the two chicks 'in orbit' here -- tame-wild orphans of Eric; but they aren't here. So here are some photos from my archive:

20171213_112123.jpg
20170215_100534.jpg
20161227_142516.jpg

Tee hee: the picture of the chicks around the chair (which we used to gauge their height over time) is an example of toosh-outsizedness.

Now check the photo of the chicks walking in line. Note the two chicks closest. Their tooshes are quite different in size.

Now here are two more photos from the archive:

20170924_162314.jpg
20170407_111358.jpg
Different shaped tooshes?

Back
Top Bottom