Are these male guineas?

Mooshu17

Chirping
May 8, 2020
So I have 3 guineas. They are about 10 months old. I have never seen an egg, are they all three males? I assume the biggest one, with the biggest helmet, is male, but the other two I'm not sure. They have more sing song like vocalizations. They're all a-holes to my hens, but they follow my rooster like puppies.

They are free range, but I've checked all the hidey holes, and haven't gotten eggs when they've been locked up for bad weather. Anyone have any insight?

Attachments

• IMG_20200314_143147.jpg
    IMG_20200314_143147.jpg
    906.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20200201_110956.jpg
    IMG_20200201_110956.jpg
    927.9 KB · Views: 13
The female guinea have a distinct call. Two syllables. If you hear it at all, there’s a female in that group. Yours do all have larger wattles though. So their calls should tell you who is who.

This isn’t a very good video, but you can hear the female’s call at the very beginning .03 to .07 seconds.

The female guinea have a distinct call. Two syllables. If you hear it at all, there’s a female in that group. Yours do all have larger wattles though. So their calls should tell you who is who.

This isn’t a very good video, but you can hear the female’s call at the very beginning .03 to .07 seconds.

Oh I hear that in there. I think we just have males, maybe that's why they're so mean 🤦

Can you record the sound they make? Both hens and cocks make the mono-syllabic alarm calls, but the hen alone also makes a “buckwheat” call and a nesting call.

Thanks for the video, I hadn't found one where it really sounded like buckwheat. Seems I have 3 males. I'm going to see if I can add a video to the original post, having trouble with file size or my internet.

Back
Top Bottom