Male never crow but a hen do

Brianachan

In the Brooder
Feb 22, 2021
I got few young quails about 50days old now. One is surely male but never crow, never aggressive, very quiet, but a hen very loud, every time I go near to the cage, she crow at me trying to threat me off, if My hands pointing at her, she even try to peck at me! I raised her in my house from the beginning, the first person she saw was me when she came out of the shell. why?

Hello! A belated :welcome!
Can you post pictures of them? Are you sure on genders or ‘crowing’? If my calculations are correct their not too old and some males don’t crow until a bit later. Do you have other quails? The roo might be submissive and not be as aggressive as others. The roo stereotype is that they’re aggressive but not all are. :) Hope this helps! :)

I got few young quails about 50days old now. One is surely male but never crow, never aggressive, very quiet, but a hen very loud, every time I go near to the cage, she crow at me trying to threat me off, if My hands pointing at her, she even try to peck at me! I raised her in my house from the beginning, the first person she saw was me when she came out of the shell. why?
Are you sure thats a hen? When happy my males don’t crow.

Hens sometimes make a creaky or squeaky noise and leap at people, sometimes their brains get confused and they want to defend their eggs or food and water supply. I had one that was also so defensive of her resources that she would peck my hand and squeak at me. It doesn’t sound much like a male’s crowing, though.

Hens sometimes make a creaky or squeaky noise and leap at people, sometimes their brains get confused and they want to defend their eggs or food and water supply. I had one that was also so defensive of her resources that she would peck my hand and squeak at me. It doesn’t sound much like a male’s crowing, though.
I have a hen who when upset will stretch up like a male crowing then just chirps, definitely not crowing though.

I have a hen who when upset will stretch up like a male crowing then just chirps, definitely not crowing though.
OK,maybe it’s chirps, but she did opened mouth wide, each sound is short repetitive but loud, like : ah ah ah ah....she’ll keep chirping until I go away. If I want to touch her, She’ll come to peck me

OK,maybe it’s chirps, but she did opened mouth wide, each sound is short repetitive but loud, like : ah ah ah ah....she’ll keep chirping until I go away. If I want to touch her, She’ll come to peck me
Like she’s protecting her territory, but hens should not do that right?

Back
Top Bottom