Male or Female Australorp?

bbc88

Hatching
Apr 3, 2018
I bought 2 australorps together, both supposedly female. However they are beginning to look very different. I am not sure if one is developing faster/slower or maybe one is actually a rooster. My neighborhood regs do not allow for roos so this could potentially be a problem if he starts crowing. Can anyone tell if the one in the front is a male or female. The other female is in the background.

Attachments

• chickens.jpg
    chickens.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 163
Looks like a rooster to me. How old are they? A female should not have red in her comb until ready to lay at 4 to 5 months.
They were born around the beginning of February. The one in the back has no red whatsoever. That's why I thought the other one was so odd.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ek-update-growing-fast.1231022/#post-19759355

Here is my update with pics. I have 4black Australorps and we do have a male (that we wanted). I have posted weekly updates under “Chicks with pics” title if you cared to look at the other weeks. Hopefully this helps.

Your male definitely had red on it long before mine. Mine looked more like that one in the middle of your picture standing up tall. I heard there was a way to tell by the tail feathers but to me all of my chickens look like they have fuzzy lumps instead of tails. I have maybe two that have visible tail feathers.

Hello, so I was wondering how to tell if a chicken is a male of female..I read this post about red in the comb and their wattles but is that just in regards to Australorps? I can't for the life of me remember what the breed was, I bought at the Fee store and when we pick it out the lady said "we don't know which are female of males so your taking a chance." I didn't mind so much but now I wish I would have paid more attention to its breed. It has much bigger legs than the rest of the chicks and theyre all about the same age, and it stands up right and just seems different than the other ladies...

Hello, so I was wondering how to tell if a chicken is a male of female..I read this post about red in the comb and their wattles but is that just in regards to Australorps? I can't for the life of me remember what the breed was, I bought at the Fee store and when we pick it out the lady said "we don't know which are female of males so your taking a chance." I didn't mind so much but now I wish I would have paid more attention to its breed. It has much bigger legs than the rest of the chicks and theyre all about the same age, and it stands up right and just seems different than the other ladies...

Take some clear pictures and post in the forum: “what breed or gender is this” (rather than the forum “raising baby chicks”). Don’t post till the chicks are about 5-6 weeks old for gender as it will be more of a guess before then. Breed-some people are good with breed of chicks, etc. but feathers help. Good pics are front and side views in good lighting, with clear view of combs and wattles too.

Back
Top Bottom