Male or female coturnix?

Peasncarrots

Hatching
May 1, 2024
Hi! Do you guys think my 5 week coturnix quails are male or female or which are not feather sexable? 1 & 5 have definitely crowed.

Attachments

• IMG_8133.jpeg
    IMG_8133.jpeg
    496.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_8186.jpeg
    IMG_8186.jpeg
    562.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8187.jpeg
    IMG_8187.jpeg
    623 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8158.jpeg
    IMG_8158.jpeg
    591 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8165.jpeg
    IMG_8165.jpeg
    897 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8176.jpeg
    IMG_8176.jpeg
    559.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8182.jpeg
    IMG_8182.jpeg
    663.7 KB · Views: 9
#1 male
#2 & 3 not feather sexable
#4 female
#5 male (not 100% sure)
#6 female (not 100% sure)
#7 not feather sexable

For the ones that are not feather sexable, you will want to vent sex them.

#1 male
#2 & 3 not feather sexable
#4 female
#5 male (not 100% sure)
#6 female (not 100% sure)
#7 not feather sexable

For the ones that are not feather sexable, you will want to vent sex them.
Thank you! I’m going on an 8 day road trip next weekend so I’m trying to see which males I need to get rid of before then since I won’t be around to monitor them. Two have already started chasing & pulling at the other. But I also read that I have until maybe 8 weeks to separate. I’m just so conflicted hehe

Thank you! I’m going on an 8 day road trip next weekend so I’m trying to see which males I need to get rid of before then since I won’t be around to monitor them. Two have already started chasing & pulling at the other. But I also read that I have until maybe 8 weeks to separate. I’m just so conflicted hehe
If you're going away for a while, I'd separate out what you can to prevent injuries. They can mature and go nuts overnight.

If you're going away for a while, I'd separate out what you can to prevent injuries. They can mature and go nuts overnight.
Ah yes, & that’s my dilemma since I can’t vent until about 8 weeks old? They’ll be turnings 7 weeks when I’m gone. The two obvious males that are crowing & chasing are definitely getting traded this weekend. I’ve been racking my brain over this & watching their behavior as much as I can trying to spot other males.

Ah yes, & that’s my dilemma since I can’t vent until about 8 weeks old? They’ll be turnings 7 weeks when I’m gone. The two obvious males that are crowing & chasing are definitely getting traded this weekend. I’ve been racking my brain over this & watching their behavior as much as I can trying to spot other males.
If you can't spot them before you leave, give them as much space as you can and as many hiding places as you can. That will help with aggression.

If you can't spot them before you leave, give them as much space as you can and as many hiding places as you can. That will help with aggression.
Thank you! What kinds of hiding places are your favorite? I cut out some plastic gardening pots & turned them upside but they don’t seem to be going in there. Maybe too small?

Thank you! What kinds of hiding places are your favorite? I cut out some plastic gardening pots & turned them upside but they don’t seem to be going in there. Maybe too small?
I use small cardboard boxes. They're free and the quail don't care what they look like. They do really like the dollar tree baskets, though. I think they like feeling like they're hidden while still being able to see out of them.

Back
Top Bottom