Male or Female mule ducks?

wjlpdl12

In the Brooder
Sep 8, 2021
Hello,

I am new to raising Muscovies. Two of them are full Muscovy and two are mules. I am having a really hard time figuring out if they are male or female. The white and black one and the grey and white one are the mules. Any ideas?
20210906_154612.jpg

The thing about mule ducks is that the male and female are relatively the same size and are quiet. Over half of them are male. Its probably going to be awhile before you know for sure. Do you know the parentage? Like was the male or the female the muscovy? If mule, the female won't lay eggs. Mules come from a muscovy male and a mallard derived female (like pekin). If the male was the mallard derived and the female muscovy, you would have hinnies and the female hinnie would lay an egg. But, there's a real size difference with hinnies (like there is with muscovy).

Thank you! Their mom is full Muscovy and the dad is Pekin. Sally is their sister and she is 6 months old the other 3 where born in the same hatch 11 weeks ago. The little black and white one hatched a day before the other two and has always been smaller. Their mom looks just like their older sister. I'm concerned that they are all males. We live in a neighborhood and can only have four. 3 males to one female would not work and I would have to rehome them, unfortunately I love them already. Bummer deal.
20210828_155435.jpg

Maybe the newest little one will be a girl and then you would have 2:2? Unless I'm reading that wrong? Muscovy are different and sometimes it works to have more than 1 male. But, sometimes they are very naughty and then you are definitely in a bind. 😕
I know the feeling. I hatched 3 and 2 of those were male. They are naughty, but not in a sexual way so much as they are mean to their father. They always want to go after him. He's so funny - he never faces off with them - he just runs away. 🤣 But, I know he's exhausted at the end of the day. I've got them separated now and have been looking for homes for them. At this point I feel like they are going to be here forever!
Is the white one with a black cap full muscovy? Do you have any pics of it standing?

The little black and white one is a day older than the other two and is much smaller. That one and the other white and grey one are the mules and they stick together like glue. I have attached a picture of the white one with the black cap, it's full Muscovy. I'm almost positive it's a boy. It's almost as big as it's sister who is 6 months old and this one is 11 weeks!
20210901_095404.jpg

These are the two hinnies I think you called them since their mom is full Muscovy. The white and black and white and grey.
20210906_154612.jpg

The little black and white one is a day older than the other two and is much smaller. That one and the other white and grey one are the mules and they stick together like glue. I have attached a picture of the white one with the black cap, it's full Muscovy. I'm almost positive it's a boy. It's almost as big as it's sister who is 6 months old and this one is 11 weeks!View attachment 2827341
The body and legs are pointing to female at least in this pic. The legs are very close together. Males will have a wide stance. Males have a long torso and it almost looks like they have 3 sections to their body. Whereas, females look like there are 2 sections. I could be wrong of course. 🤷‍♀️ Even though this one is almost as big as its older sister, there can be differences in sizes within the same sex. My last little girl was tinier compared to my first muscovy batch - the girls were closer in size to the boy until the boy tripled in size. Are their parents the exact same muscovies?
With the hinnies, it does look like the black and white one is smaller than the grey and white one. But, that might just be the angle of the photo.

I just looked at my last batch of muscovy baby pics 😁 the boys at 11-12 weeks were bigger than their hatch mother. So, there's always a chance your little muscovy is a girl. 🤞

I hope they are girls....if the full white Muscovy is a girl I might need to change the name lol the full white Muscovy and the full Muscovy sister that is old have the same mom and dad.

Back
Top Bottom